PDA

View Full Version : Help! CA finish and pen bushings

Joel Sauder
02-29-2008, 4:07 PM
I tried my hand at a CA finish today for the first time. It came out ok, but I have a few things yet to learn. The first thing I need to know is how you keep from gluing you pen blanks to the bushings while you are slathering all that CA glue on? I got away with it today because I was just working on a slimline, but if it has been a larger pen where the bushing actually fit inside the tube I would be had a problem on my hands.

Any suggestions out there?

Mike Vickery
02-29-2008, 4:18 PM
A little bit of wax on your bushings helps. Believe it or not once you get the hang of a CA finish it is not a problem. Slathering sounds like a problem to me. Less is more and I dont just mean the amount of glue. When you apply it just go back and forth on the blank once (maybe twice at the most) then let it dry. Dont mess with it to much or it will start to get tacky and turn into a mess.

Bernie Weishapl
02-29-2008, 4:41 PM
Joel I do like Mike. I put a coat of wax on my bushings but it is better just to try and keep the CA on the wood. I put a couple of drops CA on my paper towel and go from one end to the other no more than twice. Then let it dry. If you ever get it tacky and the paper towel sticks it is sand it to the wood and start over.

Bob Hallowell
02-29-2008, 5:00 PM
I tried my hand at a CA finish today for the first time. It came out ok, but I have a few things yet to learn. The first thing I need to know is how you keep from gluing you pen blanks to the bushings while you are slathering all that CA glue on? I got away with it today because I was just working on a slimline, but if it has been a larger pen where the bushing actually fit inside the tube I would be had a problem on my hands.

Any suggestions out there?

Joel,
I don't put anything on my bushings they may stick a little but a quick twist breaks them apart.

Bob

robert hainstock
02-29-2008, 5:09 PM
Not the worry about sticking things together, but the appying too much CA. The thick CA won't penetrate like the thinner stuff. and I've been using paste wax forever as a release agent for epoxy. I do appreciate the advice on CA usage though. My first two pens turned out fine but the third is too rough and will need the sand it, redo treatment. Thanks guys.:)
Bob

Jason Hallowell
02-29-2008, 5:39 PM
Aside from wax which has been mentioned, you could use delrin bushings, or do the finishing between centers.

Alex Elias
03-01-2008, 4:39 AM
Altough this was not your question if you need to clean them up drop them in Acetone for a couple of hours and they will look good as new. Same with the tip of the ca glue dispenser