PDA

View Full Version : Best method to level box sides?

Ralph Okonieski
03-12-2008, 6:17 PM
I'm in the process of making a jewelry box of sorts. I pulled out a Craftsman dovetail jig that I bought 30 years ago and never used until now. The joints were OK but not great; I must have misaligned the one side because at the joint, one side is just slightly higher than the other. I assume a plane would be the tool of choice to level them out? Which one? I tried a small, standard block plane but that didn't work real well. I had just sharpened it so it wasn't lack of sharpening. Sanding could be used but past experience tells me the tops and edges may be rounded. Suggestions are welcome.

The next box I'm going to try handcut dovetails. I needed to at least try that jig to satisfy myself that I used it at least once.

Thanks.

Clint Jones
03-12-2008, 6:55 PM
A SHARP low angle block plane like a 60 1/2.

Doug Shepard
03-12-2008, 7:50 PM
Block plane would be my first choice but you can double stick tape some sandpaper down on something flat and sand the whole box perimeter on the same plane.

Ralph Okonieski
03-12-2008, 8:50 PM
Both suggestions appreciated. Need to get a low-angle block for the next time but have plenty of sandpaper for now. Never thought of putting it down on a large area like that !!

Thank you !!

Don Dorn
03-12-2008, 10:16 PM
I agree with the other posters. I used to use sandpaper and if the difference isn't bad, it works, but now I use a block plane (or even my #3) and start near the difference and move off the high to the low, then I back up just a little and do it again and repeat this process until it's even. I'm not sure what the prescribed method is, but this certainly has worked for me.