PDA

View Full Version : Painting cedar for window flower boxes

jason mowery
03-21-2008, 7:45 AM
Good Morning Everyone. The wife and I decided our house would look nice with some window boxes, and I'm thinking of using cedar, since it's fairly rot resistant, and I happen to have a bunch of it lying around. However, she wants the boxes to be painted white. Does anyone know what painting cedar does to it's weather/rot resistance? Does it effectively make it no better than any other wood? I've priced commercially available window boxes made from PVC and other weather proof materials, but the cost is REALLY prohibitive. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Jason Roehl
03-21-2008, 8:03 AM
Go to your preferred paint store and ask for recommendations. More than likely they will steer you towards their oil-base exterior primer and 2 topcoats of a quality 100% acrylic exterior paint. Personally, I would go with a waterborne exterior stain, as it is easier to renew and doesn't peel badly when it does start to fail. I would also look into constructing the boxes so that you're using plastic inserts, not putting the dirt directly in the cedar. You can also allow for more drainage that way. (Water + wood + paint = bad).

Peter Quinn
03-21-2008, 9:52 AM
I don't think paint hurts cedar's weathering capabilities. I usually use a pigmented stain, water or oil based for reasons Jason pointed out. Consider designing your boxes to hold/conceal a plastic liner as cedar doesn't last that long in direct contact with wet earth. Also make sure to include drainage in the bottom for the sake of both your boxes and flowers.

Brice Burrell
03-21-2008, 10:01 AM
I think these guys are on the right track with the stain. Go to a paint store and ask about solid body stain.

jason mowery
03-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks a lot for the insight fellas, I appreciate it. I'll definitely look into the stain option!

jason mowery
03-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!