PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Base for cabinet saw

Bob Rufener
04-24-2008, 10:20 AM
I have been searching for quite a while for a cabinet saw to upgrade my contractor saw. I currently have casters on my saw that has a step on feature to raise the saw up from the floor or to lower it to steady it in place. I don't believe I will have this option with a cabinet saw. I have a limited space shop area so I frequently have to move my saw when making cuts. Also, I am limited to a 30" rail and fence system because of the space. I have seen a Shop Fox that is made for a heavy 3hp type cabinet saw but I don't like the idea of screwing down the stops and unscrewing every time I want to move the saw. What are some recommendations for bases that will handle a 400# saw and yet be " user friendly" for a guy that can't bend over as easily as I used to?

jason lambert
04-24-2008, 10:26 AM
The best one by far is the saw stop base. It might fit other saws you will have to look into that. It actually has a hydrolyc piston on it that raises the saw with one peddle nice and easy and lower the saw slowley. The only problem I have is when the saw is raised it only have about 3/4" clearance not a problem in the gurage but rolling it outside it draggs a bit.

If not the base that woodcraft sells that you cut a piece of plywood for is nice. I use it for my 600 lbs bandsaw and it is in the $50 range. The thing I like is I can bolt the tool to it with some lag bolts it seems to firm things up alot.

John Pelino
04-24-2008, 10:33 AM
I recently purchased an HTC base for my PM66. It works really well with foot controlled levers over the wheels. They are pricier than the universal stands from Woodcaft but they are solid.

Gabriel Billings
04-24-2008, 10:50 AM
I bought a Jet cabinet saw several years ago and didn't want to blow the money on a mobile base. The smaller ones weren't too expensive, but my saw has the 50" fence, and $200 or so for a base was a lot to swallow. I ended up getting my machine-shop equipped father in law to help me weld my own base. It's mostly 1" x 2" tube steel, and rides on 6" casters I got from Woodcraft.

I was thinking about trying to build another one for my new jointer, then I realized that four new casters cost as much as those Woodcraft universal bases that just uses a piece of plywood.

If you've just got a single square base you might want to try the Woodcraft model, since it seems to perform pretty well. If you've got a big extension table (and you've got access to a welder) you could try building your own, since it might be cheaper in the long run.

Mike Gabbay
04-24-2008, 10:55 AM
I bought the General 50-030 base for my General 650. It has 2 way locks on the wheels so you cna't have it oll or twist. I like it a lot. It runs about $178.00 and has a rating of 900 pounds.

My old base for my contractor sasw was the Delta. It is a very nice base. You have a 3rd wheel that is raised/lowered to roll the saw.

Bob Rufener
04-24-2008, 12:26 PM
I looked up the Saw Stop base and that is one nice looking base. Unfortunately, it is made to fit the profile of their saw-20 x 25" and is non-adjustable. The General base looks like it is made for a 50" fence system. I'll have to check out the HTC base a little more. It looks like it might work well.

Travis Gauger
04-24-2008, 1:12 PM
I have the shop fox base you mention and really like it. I also have two of the woodcraft ones and they aren't nearly as nice, but for the money, you can't go wrong. The shop fox base I have has the two screws to lock the base from rolling on you. I have a uni on it and never lock the screws down wothout any problems. I used to move the saw a lot and now it just sits in it's home. (Gave up on trying to park inthe shop) When I moved it a lot I would use the screws. Then it got to the point where I was only going to use the saw for a quick cut so I wouldn't lock it and the saw never moved. These days I hae been doing a lot of cabinets and tearing down a lot of sheet goods. Saw still doesn't move with the screws up. My last mobile base purchase was a woodcraft one and it works as well. Only thing I notice is that the 3/4" BB Ply I have my BS sitting on seems to flex a bit when I have big stuff up on the saw.

Brandon Shew
04-24-2008, 7:59 PM
I 2nd the HTC. I have them on a couple of my tools and they are very nice.

Wayne Cannon
04-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Wish you were local. I have an HTC base that has been holding up the wall for the last few years.

I saw a modification to the same type of wheel locks on a jointer where they removed the knobs, added extension shafts of all-thread running up through a hole in a horizontal piece of sheet metal attached just below the table to stabilize the new shaft, and then re-attached the knobs at that height. No more bending over.