PDA

View Full Version : Quick Installation Today

Joe Pelonio
05-30-2008, 5:03 PM
This job took me just one hour 5 minutes to install, just myself and one ladder. Having a plotter to pen plot a mounting tape saves a lot of time and errors.

They are 12" letters, 1/4" black acrylic, and span 23' wide. Installed with a few bits of VHB foam tape and silicone.

Scott Shepherd
05-30-2008, 5:50 PM
Nice Joe, thanks for sharing. I went to quote a job like that recently and the guy started the conversation by telling me that he could buy the letters for $16 each online and it came with a free template. He wanted a non-standard color for plastic suppliers, but something offered by Gemini. I looked at the price, figured it would take 2 sheets. The cost of the 2 sheets of material was more than the cost he said he could buy the letters for. I recommended he buy and install it himself because I couldn't even buy the material for what he quoted me.

Last time I drove by, he had them up. Funny how he had me quoting about 20 letters and when I looked at it, it was down to about 7 :)

Sorry- got sidetracked. Nice job and a good use for the laser (and plotter).

Craig Hogarth
05-30-2008, 5:56 PM
I've been meaning to ask what you use to hang your signs. Does VHB stick well to stucco type surface as well?

Keith Outten
05-30-2008, 7:08 PM
Very nice Joe,

How long will acrylic last on exterior signs?

What does your mounting tape look like? I have been plotting a full size paper template for similar jobs maybe your technique is better than mine or maybe we are doing the same thing except I use paper and tape the template to the wall.

Joe Pelonio
05-30-2008, 7:43 PM
Craig,

The VHB sticks very well to the painted wood siding like at this one, not as well on stucco but does work. I used 3-4 1" pieces on this job, for stucco I'd use 6-7 and try for a warm day. It only has to hold long enough for the silicone to set up.

Keith,

Here's what I do that works fastest.

1. Do a pen plot actual size on paper (I use tyvek if there's any chance of rain)

2. Find the center of the line of text and mark it at the bottom edge

3. With olfa knife and straight edge, slice off all but the bottom 1" of the letters all the way across, to make it into a tape.

4. Find and mark the center at the site. Place ladder in the center and tape it up using a level or in this case, measuring off the bottom of the facade. Use more tape on windy days. Move the ladder to the left end,
grab the dangling mounting tape, go up and stick it down. Repeat on the right.

5. I have already placed the VHB on the backs in the shop, so just peel off the release liner, dab on the silicone, take it up the ladder and line up with the bottom 1" of the letter on the tape. Push hard.

I have some acrylic letters up over 5 years and looking fine, but we have a rather cloudy climate, might be less in the south.

Scott Shepherd
05-30-2008, 7:53 PM
I think you can look at 20+ years with acrylic. Look at every strip mall in town that's been there for 20 years or more and look at the channel letters. They use acrylic for the letters. Also, for those who don't use channel letters, but rather acrylic letters stuck to sign white, I drive by a strip mall that's been there for over 20 years that used nothing but that same method Joe used over 20 years ago and the letters still look fine.

Joe Pelonio
05-30-2008, 8:09 PM
Scott, on the prices, Gemini won't sell retail, but there are online places that sell stock letters, maybe made oversea. This font was one I had that is not available from even Gemini. I got close to $1,000 for this job, installed, and he was happy with the price.

Keith, here's the tape I use, in this case the red/white liner which is thicker than the green, probably 1/32".

http://www.issmart.net/images/Adhesive_Tapes/w-VHB.jpg

Frank Corker
05-31-2008, 3:45 AM
I can see why he was pleased. Great job Joe!

Anthony Scira
05-31-2008, 11:12 AM
Great work and good tips !

I LOVE the little giant ladder !

Joe Pelonio
05-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Great work and good tips !

I LOVE the little giant ladder !
Yes, that's a good tip for people that have to work up high, it folds up to 5' which easily fits in the back of a small pickup like mine, yet extends up to 23'.

The best thing is that you can use it as an A-frame ladder and extend one leg longer than the other for working on stairs.

Jim Dornon
06-01-2008, 6:44 PM
Nice work Joe.

AL Ursich
06-01-2008, 7:27 PM
Excellent Work and GREAT TIPS.... Especially cutting the 1 inch tape from the full size.... That tip alone is priceless to me.... I don't like ladders but that same tip will work for smaller signs.... Glad I got that FC7000.... Just need to get the cut software to open in Corel 12 and I will be all set.... Time... need more time....

Thanks,

AL