PDA

View Full Version : V-Block fixture

Scott Shepherd
05-30-2008, 6:56 PM
I've been meaning to make up a fixture to hold some round parts so I finally sat down and drew something up. I got a little (okay a lot) over zealous in my design, but once it was done, it's working quite nice.

I have a batch of round parts, all of them get the same thing on them, but every one is different shaped on the end, different length, and different diameter (not by too much). So I made this so I can bump the item against a stop and the center will always be in the same place. Only thing that needs tweaking is the focus, and on these, it's not that much difference. So now I can put them all in the same place and not have to worry about trying to find centers or make special fixtures for each size and shape.

It's cut from 1/8" clear acrylic. The 4 "V" pieces go in the longer slots. I have glued the two ends in place and the middle two "V" pieces can be removed and used as needed. The stop piece can also be moved to any of the smaller slots along the length of the two base pieces.

The angled slots on the "V" pieces are to hook a rubber band around to strap the work in if you need to.

So far, I've been pleasantly surprised on how well it works.

Hopefully someone else can find a use for it.

Saved in Version 12 for those who don't have X3 or 4.

Enjoy-

Roy Nicholson
05-31-2008, 4:25 AM
Thanks Steve,

That could come in handy

Regards

Roy N,.

Mike Null
05-31-2008, 7:06 AM
Steve

I made mine from a piece of 2x4 on the table saw then cut 1/8" plywood on the laser to form various size "v"s. The stop is important.

Scott Shepherd
05-31-2008, 9:57 AM
Mike, I'd like to see a photo of that if you wouldn't mind posting it. I don't have a table saw, so I'll have to work around that part of it.

Here's several photos to clarify the finish product in use.

There's a close up of the engraved item. That's a 4pt font, so don't let the size in the photo trick you. It's all little bitty!

The short piece is all the same part and then there's a long one, different diameter, different length shown just to explain the moving stop concept.

Click to enlarge

Keith Outten
05-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Scott,

Very ingenious and thanks for sharing the file. Looks like it might make a real nice jig for engraving pens as well.

Darren Null
05-31-2008, 1:10 PM
That is excellent. Thank you.

Paul Brinkmeyer
05-31-2008, 2:55 PM
It's Sat. and I needed a break, so I made one...Looks like it will be handy.

Thanks

Mike Null
05-31-2008, 4:05 PM
Steve

I'll post it as soon as work premits but yours is beautiful by comparison. Nice work and thanks for posting it.

BTW I've also been using those high tech clamps for years.

Scott Shepherd
05-31-2008, 4:16 PM
You guys are making me blush :o

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad some find it useful. I don't give nearly as much as I take here, so hopefully this one goes in my "give" column.