PDA

View Full Version : help - double image

George Elston
06-01-2008, 1:37 PM
I am getting a double image from my versalaser 30Wt. When I had the problem before it was always something slipping in the drive train, belt loose, drive gear loose, etc. I have replaced the belt, cleaned and tightened all the gears etc. and the problem has not changed. Is there something I am missing. Help. Yes I know tech support will be open Mon AM but I need to get work out today, I should have called them Fri. But I figured it was no biggie, just readjust the belt and back to work. It's now been 2 days of this and I am hoping for some advice.

Thanks guys (and gals)

Craig Hogarth
06-01-2008, 2:30 PM
Are the thumbscrews tight on the laser head?

George Elston
06-01-2008, 3:00 PM
Forgot to mention that, yep, but good call, I've been there before.

Todd Schwartz
06-02-2008, 12:28 AM
George - is it happening all over the table or just at the far right or left extremes of the X axis. I have found out (in fact confirmed in the job I am running tonight) that I can not raster at 100 speed to the far left on the X axis. When I do I get a blurred picture or type. Seems it has to do with the rapid change in directions. I too have replaced belts, pulleys, stepper with no luck. I have come to terms with it as part of the personality of the machine.

Just a shot in the dark :)

Todd

George Elston
06-02-2008, 10:54 AM
I got ahold of ULS tech support this morning, and they are sending out new belts, new rollers and new bearings, all as warranty items even though my year was up in April. Should be here in the morning. This should fix the problem as it is ALL the moving parts. (except the stepper) ULS support is THE BEST. To those looking to buy a laser, don't forget about support. It can be a joy or a source of never ending frustration. I will keep all appraised of the progress.

Doug Fennell
06-02-2008, 2:36 PM
Good for them George - it's good to see a company stand behind their product like that.

George Elston
06-04-2008, 7:55 PM
Well to to continue the saga, I got the belts, bearings, etc. and put them in, no change, tech suggested new laser, I said, the stepper motor is the only thing left besides the laser ( never known a stepper motor to go bad but you never know). Stepper motor in this morning no change. NEW laser tube on it's way. All as warranty items, several months after the one year. Now that's a good company. I have work piling up, the laser ain't working and I sing the praise of the manufacturer, go figure.

Darren Null
06-04-2008, 8:06 PM
Congratulations on your new machine! You haven't mentioned it, but I presume you covered it right at the start, but it couldn't be anything optical could it? A bit of guck or a mini-crack that's splitting the beam? Could be something quite tiny if it was on the first mirror or two...

Mike Mackenzie
06-04-2008, 9:36 PM
George,

I wonder if it is comming from the air assist hose, have they had you check that?

Todd Schwartz
06-05-2008, 12:28 PM
George - to hit on the obvious and to add on to Darren's post, but have you tried a different lens? Have you made sure all the lens and mirrors are clean and secure.

Finally, have you asked for a new CPU board. Cured my ailments last fall when everything pointed to a mechanical issue of not vector cutting well.

Good luck and keep us updated on the progress.

Todd

Darren Null
06-05-2008, 1:32 PM
Have you made sure all the lens and mirrors are clean and secure.
I didn't think of that! A slightly loose mirror wobbling in time with a fan would give a double image too. Good one.

Sandra Force
06-05-2008, 5:04 PM
A scatched mirror or lens will cause a split beam and double image. Clean and then check all of the mirrors and the lens. and if you have a window don't forget that. The window is between the laser compartment and the cutting area.;)

James Stokes
06-05-2008, 6:52 PM
On one of my lasers I had a loose lens, It definatly caused double images.

George Elston
06-05-2008, 10:17 PM
changed lenses, tightened everything, new tube in today and still the same, new drive gear and idler coming tomorrow, then it's time to ask about a new controller. I should be upset, but I have figured work arounds, turn type 90 degrees it's not so noticeable, use areal narrow, and it looks like regular. But ULS has really gone the second mile in trying to solve the problem.

Todd Schwartz
06-06-2008, 10:33 AM
I am putting my money on the new controller.

Good luck.

Todd

Rob Sandall
06-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Hello - Back about 10 years ago our ULS25PSR had a double image problem. Replacing the CPU fixed it, and it was the first thing Universal suggested. Just keep that in mind if nothing else works. Good luck!

George Elston
06-10-2008, 3:22 PM
The good news:

Finally got to talk to a senior guy at ULS tech support, who explained it was a software problem. The control panel has a function called tuning, that controls when the laser fires on the right and left hand pass (like an ink jet printer). Couple of tests and right on the money!

The bad news:

After running one job the laser head took off and beat itself against the stop pin to the point of knocking it out of the track assembly. New control board in the next morning (overnight sat deliv. I paid difference). When hooked up got "low battery error", new battery, old CPU, new sensor board (that the battery drives) all the same. No go. At this point I'm not looking for help from you guys (and gals), (but if you have any suggestions I'll listen) tech support is doing their best, but I think I could use your prayers, I need to get back up and running.

ps

a one hour job on the laser takes all day on a Hermes 9000, but it's a good backup.

Mike Mackenzie
06-10-2008, 5:09 PM
George,

A low battery error means the 9 Volt battery that runs the over temp sensor is low it is on the back of the system attached are instructions to change it.

What version of software do they have you running?

Double check all of your connections on the CPU the sensor board plugs directly into the CPU and one of the connections could be loose or bad.

George Elston
06-14-2008, 12:52 PM
The laser is working, (right now!, playing catchup). It turns out that the early versalaser 30 wt (2.3) had a cable that was not keyed. I must have put in in the wrong way, ( I mean if it fits in it's in right isn't it ?). This caused a cascade failure of all the boards. ALL new boards arrived this (Sat ) morning, with a new keyed cable. She's a up and running. Now all I have to do is put her clothes back on. Think I'll run a couple of jobs first to make sure.