PDA

View Full Version : Help-Native American Clipart/Scenes

Phyllis Meyer
06-05-2008, 2:39 PM
Would anyone have a graphic similar to this picture? I am having a terrible time finding images along these lines. Any help would truly be appreciated!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Darren Null
06-05-2008, 3:37 PM
Not clipart.

Indians...check
Horses...check
Out of copyright...check
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/curt:@field(SUBJ+Horse):Stemming=Yes

If that doesn't pan out, there's more branches from here:
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/browse/ListSome.php?category=Native%20American%20History

Check the copyright for each branch

Phyllis Meyer
06-05-2008, 4:07 PM
Darren,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Wow, this is exactly what I need!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Jack Harper
06-05-2008, 4:22 PM
Hold on there Kemo Sabe. The university notes that the copyrights for the originals are no longer in place. However, they are exerting a copyright claim on the digital version they have made. They are further restricting the use to teaching and research only with the requirement of attribution. It appears they are not available for commercial use, at least not without contacting them. Sorry to spoil the pow wow.

Darren Null
06-05-2008, 4:41 PM
Ugh! Heap bad medicine!

One-off job for a private customer = I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Production run or for public display = Smoke another pipe and think of a plan B. OR, trace it and/or flip the image left-->right. *

Good catch Jack.

*Either is somewhat risky. Firing up photoshop and swapping the indians around would work too.
Excuse my somewhat cavalier attitude to copyright...I've just found out that we pay a tax in Spain and that covers me to legally download whatever media I like for private consumption....without any guilt whatsoever because the various artists are getting paid. *Glee!*

Bill Cunningham
06-05-2008, 9:24 PM
Ugh! Heap bad medicine!

One-off job for a private customer = I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Production run or for public display = Smoke another pipe and think of a plan B. OR, trace it and/or flip the image left-->right. *

Good catch Jack.

*Either is somewhat risky. Firing up photoshop and swapping the indians around would work too.
Excuse my somewhat cavalier attitude to copyright...I've just found out that we pay a tax in Spain and that covers me to legally download whatever media I like for private consumption....without any guilt whatsoever because the various artists are getting paid. *Glee!*

Well, I'm sure that when they dig up Crazyhorse, he'll appreciate the 5 bucks royalty :D or Does this tax only cover 'Spanish' media?

Darren Null
06-05-2008, 9:55 PM
Media generally. The tax is levied on storage media and (theoretically) sent on to various artist-royalty organisations.

It is only for private use though. Made my day when I found out. I'll still buy the CDs and DVDs if I like them, but I never have to buy junk films again. Legal. heh.

Double bonus for me- I'm on a 'net over GPRS link which times out if you're not downloading something in the background...one long page & it's reboot time.

The copyright, by the way, is for the guys who scanned the images in. I'm not quite sure if I approve of this or not- on the one hand there is some effort required to make the scans, plus the ability to work a scanner (which from those photos, those guys have yet to master although I may be being unfair as I haven't seen the originals). On the other hand, there is pretty well zero creativity involved, which is what the whole copyright thing is intended to protect. Bit of a Disney law there, probably.