PDA

View Full Version : Queen Anne Side Table

Mark Mazzo
06-08-2008, 9:21 AM
Hey all,

It's been a while since I've posted here at SMC. So, I thought I'd post about a project that I recently completed.

I blogged about it as it was built – you can look at my blog (http://thecraftsmanspath.com) and search for Queen Anne Side Table to get the details.

The able was my first attempt at a reproduction piece and a first attempt at cabriole legs. I enjoyed the build and I think that there may be a few more reproduction pieces in my woodworking future.

The wood is cherry with soft maple as a secondary wood for the drawer box. The finish is boiled linseed oil, followed by garnet shellac and then a top coat of semi gloss Arm-R-Seal. Finally, I rubbed the finish out with 0000 steel wool and then applied some paste wax (with steel wool for added protection.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/thecraftsmanspath/SBfOBN1Z0hI/AAAAAAAAApQ/mcd5ynBQBd0/s288/IMG_2949.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/thecraftsmanspath/SBfOGd1Z0jI/AAAAAAAAApg/xjsOrCsc5eU/s288/IMG_2951.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/thecraftsmanspath/SBfON91Z0mI/AAAAAAAAAp8/RwJUIzRir5A/s288/IMG_2954.JPG

Jim Becker
06-08-2008, 9:54 AM
That's really outstanding work, Mark!

Don Bullock
06-08-2008, 11:05 AM
That's a beautiful table Mark. With results like that I can see why you feel that you'll be making more reproduction pieces.:D

John Thompson
06-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Very attractive and well done, Mark. But.. you might want to bring it inside before it rains... :D

Congrats on your first cabriole legs as the first few sets are a challenge indeed.

Sarge..

Jeffrey Makiel
06-08-2008, 1:34 PM
Nice work.

Cabriole legs have a timeless classy look. Well done.

-Jeff :)

Walt Caza
06-08-2008, 4:00 PM
Wow Mark,
What a beauty!
Great job and you can be proud of that one for sure!

What are you aiming to build next?
take it easy,
Walt
:)

Calvin Hobbs
06-09-2008, 9:49 AM
Mark,

Really nice work, comparing it to the original you were copying I would say you really hit the mark.

The piece has a nice lightness to it especially in the legs that often turns out clunky or heavy, especially in first attempts. The wood and finish are really nice as well.

If I were to add a little constructive criticism, the feet seem a little thick for this type of table. But I saw how you were approximating the trifid feet of the prototype, so I see why you did them that way...

So hat's off to you and this project, keep the period pieces rolling. Cal

John Timberlake
06-09-2008, 9:18 PM
Very nice work. Love the finish. Dovetails look good.

J. Z. Guest
06-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Very nice Mark. If you aren't around much, we can forgive it if you showcase something like that each time. :D

mreza Salav
06-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Very very nice indeed.

Norman Pyles
06-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Beautiful work!! :cool::cool:

John Michaels
06-10-2008, 1:50 AM
Very nicely done. Such a beautiful table. The finish looks top notch.

Mark Mazzo
06-10-2008, 8:59 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

John: I thought that the lighting was much nicer outside for the pics than in the shop. Rest assured, it resides inside now!

Walt: Thanks. I'm Thinking of trying a Federal style piece next.

Calvin: Thanks for the insight. Actually, I agree with you. When I turned the feet I thought the distance from pad to toe was a bit too tall. However, I opted to not alter the dimensions at that time given that these were my first Cabriole legs. It looks OK as is but it could be a bit more refined with a slightly smaller foot. By the way - very nice work on the chest you (and family) are building!

Mark Valsi
06-10-2008, 11:19 AM
mark !

One thing that drives me crazy about projects like this.

DOVETAILS that suck !!

They look like hand cut, but . . . and i mean BUT . . .

the spacing is like machine made, and with the high level of craftsmanship in the rest of the piece, to me the even spaced dovetails really detract from the project !

Your skill and craftsmanship is so overwhelmingly evident on the piece, that I am disappointed by the dovetails.

If I possesed your skill at woodworking, I would do something much better with the drawers. Heck, I recommend you do them over !!!!

The rest of the project merits an "A+", but the drawers are down to a "B+"

Mark Mazzo
06-10-2008, 5:04 PM
Mark,

Thanks for the comments. I understand your thoughts on the dovetails (which were hand cut, by the way). I probably could have accentuated the variable spacing a bit more than I did (if you look closely you will see that the center tail is actually about 1/8" wider than the outer tails).

I was actually concentrating more on the method of doing the half blinds with the lip on the drawer front without making a mess of things - a bit of an exercise in patience.

I'll take your thoughts to heart on the next piece and make it painfully evident that the dovetails saw no machines during their development!

Peter Stahl
06-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Excellent work Mark!