PDA

View Full Version : Mirrored License Plate Backing

william kennington
06-09-2008, 3:42 PM
Hello Creekers,
I am cutting out some mirrored acrylic for license plates. What do the professionals use to back the acrylic with and adhesive or tape to inlay
the pieces? Thanks in advance

James Rambo
06-09-2008, 8:49 PM
I have only made a few but I have one on my pickup that is sort of a test plate for the local High School. I use various color mirrored acrylic in 1/8 inch thickness. I back this up with 1/16 inch black acrylic with adhesive sheet applied when purchased. The plate on my truck has been there for about two months and 4 or 5 washes at the local self-service car wash.

Bob Cole
06-10-2008, 1:36 AM
Does the acrylic get scratched? Do you have any pictures of what you are doing?

James Rambo
06-10-2008, 9:49 PM
No, the acrylic looks as good as the day I made it. Even after I tried to get the bugs off from the 500 mile trip to northern Georgia. I don,t have any pictures of the one that I have done. (edit: there is one on my website sample page.)

Brian Robison
06-11-2008, 8:29 AM
William,
Are you reverse engraving or laser cutting / inlaying them?

william kennington
06-12-2008, 3:33 PM
I am cutting them and inlaying them.

Brian Robison
06-13-2008, 8:01 AM
What I do is get the 6 inch wide double sided tape from Laser Bits and apply it to a piece of black 12 x 6 x 1/8" acrylic. I use the laser to cut the piece with the tape on, to the license plate shape. Then cut the mirror out (reverse the image and cut from the back) including the shapes to inlay.Make a fixture that aligns 2 pieces of 1/8" to assemble the back and the mirror. Insert your inlays.

william kennington
06-13-2008, 2:04 PM
Thanks, I was trying to remember where I saw the 6" double sided tape
technique. Laser bits here I come. Thanks

Kanaka Tech
06-26-2008, 9:12 PM
I've done some license plates, one of which is on my girlfriend's car. The other is for her brother's nissan hardbody. Both just reverse engrave and color fill.