PDA

View Full Version : Simple complicated question

Daniel Mayfield
06-14-2008, 1:26 PM
Hi all,
First off let me start by saying this site is one of the most informative and friendly places I have had the pleasure to visit.
I am in the research and planning phase of opening a laser shop. My previous experience is in industrial lasers (Bystronic Bysprint 2512 2500W and Trumpf L3030 3000 watt). They are incredible machines our focus was on cutting primarily but the maintenance tech did play with a few engravings and puzzles when he visited which really peaked my interest.
My first question is a simple one but at the same time very complex.
What would you have done different or the same knowing what you know now ?
I am looking at the pros and cons of each system and have received info from Epilog and ULS. I like the idea of buying American made since I was raised in a union household where it meant something. Epilog's (The Brewers) information was a bit more complete and was sent faster, however this doesn't put ULS out of the running it just means a bit more research.
I have the problem on my business plan of trying to specify what I want to do since I want to do everything a laser can do.
I am trying to get my base specs down I figure 60W minimum and as big a table as can be bought without worry about beam alignment over the whole area. I was specifically thinking on the Helix and the PLS 4.60 range.
Sorry this is so long winded but I have been lurking here for a while and reading a lot...guess my brain got backed up. :)
Thanks,
Daniel

Doug Griffith
06-14-2008, 1:45 PM
I personally think the hardware of the major US brands is fairly equal as far as quality is concerned. ULS just released a driver with many bells and whistles. I'm a happy Epilog owner but might have gone ULS had the driver been out at the time I bought.

Cheers

Darren Null
06-14-2008, 2:21 PM
I have the problem on my business plan of trying to specify what I want to do since I want to do everything a laser can do.

You might want to give this bit some more thought. In my case, the possibilities are so infinite I am in a state of continual confusion as to what material to home in on. It doesn't help that I have the attention span of a kitten in a disco...and it's a slow hour when I only hatch 10 cunning plans. It's nice to have flexibility, of course, but each material has it's own learning curve; as well as tools and additives (shellac, marble sealant, scrapers, cleaners, polishing stuff etc etc). Lasers are expensive and you want to hit the ground running if you can.

From context, I presume you're going to be trying to earn a living from this. Are your products just going to be built from raw materials or are you just going to laser over store-bought stuff (laserbits blanks and similar)? What material/s should you focus on? Where's your market? What and where is your competetion? What about your particular area can be used to your advantage?

So, my "What I would do differently" would mainly be to have a much clearer idea what I was going to do with the laser when it arrived. Product line, pricing, relevant tools and equipment needed, stock in and supply lines sorted. Marketing plan; who am I going to sell this to and what's it going to cost me.

Scott Shepherd
06-14-2008, 3:42 PM
Daniel, see the review I posted between the 2 machines you mentioned here :

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67576&highlight=PLS4.60

Hope that helps. I've owned both machines you mentioned, so if you have specific questions, you can PM me or ask me on this thread (or call me if you'd prefer-PM me if you want that and I'll send you my phone number).

Bruce Volden
06-14-2008, 6:23 PM
Daniel

I have been doing this (not as a business) since 1995. I have 3 machines (American made!!) If I had the funds "back then", something different I would have done would to have purchased a machine with a LARGER BED!!!
I went to Kern Electronics and toured their facility, loved their products, picked their brains...you name it, but couldn't come up with the funds. That is the first thing that comes to mind whenever I think back. The other thing is to make certain the company will keep it's drivers current to the operating system software on the market. 2 of my machines will only run under WIN 98 :mad:. I went to Rent-A -Coder and paid $1500 so I can use XP on up but I still have to have a 98 machine for a print server :confused:

Bruce

Larry Bratton
06-15-2008, 8:16 PM
Daniel:
I opted for a larger table,Epilog EXT 36x24. I have never regretted the table size. I felt at the time that 40 watts would do me in the power dept. If I had it to do over with the same money, I would probably consider a smaller table with more power. If I had the money, I'd go for a 100 or 120 watts with the big table. My laser is primarily used for cutting acrylic now and my business is to the point where I need speed. I have been very happy with my machine and Epilog as a company.