PDA

View Full Version : Glass

Gabriel Rangel
06-18-2008, 5:02 PM
Just wonder how to get a deeper look and feel on glass with text or with a logo.

Joe Pelonio
06-18-2008, 5:27 PM
Use sandblasting.

The laser just doesn't do more than a surface-breaking etch on glass.

Gabriel Rangel
06-18-2008, 5:50 PM
thank you for the reply what is the best way to go on sandblasting
$$$ wise.

thank you
gabriel

Tom Bull
06-18-2008, 9:03 PM
Sand blasting can be as simple as a little kit from Hobby Lobby that uses an aersol spray can and a simple gun device, to a huge system like one we use at work that can hold a ton of abrasive and uses a huge 3 phase air compressor. What you are planning to etch makes the difference. A big issue is safety. When you sandblast glass you release free silica which is a giant health issue. Breathing free silica can cause a deadly lung disease that may take years to catch up to you. You MUST NOT breathe the dust you release from etching. We use a "space suit" with a discrete air supply to avoid silica and an exhaust fan that moves a large volume of air through the blasting area.
For small projects you can get a stand beside unit that has a glass door and gloves that reach into the blasting area to keep you completely isolated from the process. Still be careful as you clean the project because the dust on it is silica.
whatever you choose, do not skimp on your air compressor. Sandblasting requires a large volume of air. Check the CFM of your air supply against the CFM required by the blaster you pick out.

Rags Alan Ragland
06-18-2008, 9:07 PM
Gabriel
I have a sand blast cabinet from Rayzist and to be honest I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. Don't get me wrong I use it on all my glass work such as: glasses, bottles, plaques, pictures, etc.
I use laser tape as a masking medium and do not use Rapid Mask, or the other "stuff".
They do have table top cabinets the will work as well as my "huge" cabinet. But go with a pressure pot not a siphon system.
Good luck
Rags

Epilog EXT36 75W, Sand Blaster, Chroma crystal, Corel X3

Rags Alan Ragland
06-19-2008, 1:02 AM
Gabriel
I don't know anyone who uses silica sand in their blaster. Most including myself will use Alumimum Oxide. Silicosis is a deadly disease and is entirely
caused by silici sand inhalation. However, AO is not deadly but you need to use common sense in breathing any dust.
Dr. Rags

Epilog EXT36, Rayzist sand blaster, Chroma crystal, Corel X3

Craig Hogarth
06-19-2008, 2:40 AM
If you're not going to do a lot of sandblasting, check in your local area for someone who can do it for you. My wife posted on myspace and had several replies from sandblasting hobbyists. We don't get enough requests to buy one ourselves and we found it cheaper to just do the masking and have them do the blasting for us.

Rodne Gold
06-19-2008, 3:45 AM
To answer your initial enquiry
1) Laser thru a layer of wet paper
2) Use a 90% greyscale rather than a solid black
3) do both of these and do a double pass
4) Fill with white or silver rub' n buff after.

The problem with lasering glass is the fact that the process works differently to sandblasting , the laser heats impurities and trapped gasses in the glass as it passes thru and these expand and fracture the glass. The way to get a smoother and better laser glass engraving is to try control the fractures.
The wet paper will stop fractures adjacent to the spot in that it acts as a sort of heat sink
The greyscale will let the laser engrave discrete dots rather than continously , so this too will control the extent of fracturing and the glass overheating do to major overlap of pulses.
The double pass should give you a bit more depth and feel without the problems you would have if you whacked up power and DPI for a single pass hoping to get "deep" engraving.
The Rub n buff whitens the engraving giving a nicer look,

Tom Bull
06-21-2008, 8:47 AM
Remember that glass is sand. Etching glass by sandblasting will release free silica. I don't believe, BUT AM NOT SURE SO STILL BE VERY CAREFUL, the shards of glass that the laser "chips" off are free silica. They are actually pretty large particles. Just don't breathe anything that is flying loose in the air when working with a sandblaster, even if it is using aluminum oxide as the abrasive grit.