PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and looking to buy

Kevin Coad
06-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Looking to buy and engraving system. Either rotary or laser engraver. I'm leaning toward a Laser engraver. I'm planning on working mainly with wood. mostly text but would like to put in some 3d images on my pieces. (for retirees; shadow boxes) I'm reluctant to buy because I dont know where to find; or who builds quality machines? What programs are more user friendly? Where to get inexpensive 3d artwork? are there programs to create your own 3d artwork? I'm new at this and apologize because these may be a dumb questions. I would appreciate any info anyone would be willing to part with.
thanks in advance
-Kevin-

Rodne Gold
06-19-2008, 2:47 AM
Too general a Q to respond to properly , however , luckily , most of the issues you want answered have been extensively covered in this forum.
Type in a few of your terms in the search engine and start reading......literally 100's of posts to go thru.

Stephen Beckham
06-19-2008, 7:04 AM
Agree with Rodne - but I'll add on that maybe you're going in the wrong direction. The Laser or the Rotary Engraver will not suffice for helping with woodworking except to put surface changes on there. Problem with that is if you are focused on shadow boxes - well the only surface to work with is the sides, bottom and top - hanging on the wall - your accents will be barely noticed.

You may be better off and more affordable to start with a small CNC router or the new one that sears has for $1K. They will allow you to cut, shape, notch, mold your shadow box to help the production of the shadow box more than putting accents on it. They will also allow you to do some fancy 3D work on the sides as a bonus. They'll help you with making some decent plaques as well.

Then the obvious - $1K versus $12K-15K - easier to get into it with quicker returns - then step up to a laser down the road.

Now - if you have other things in mind, but only mentioned the shadow boxes - we're back into the comment by Rodne... Need more info...

Edit....

As a matter of fact - see http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=75307
It's a thread similar to your question here, but the guy is looking into the Sears Compucarve for a startup...

David Fairfield
06-19-2008, 12:37 PM
A laser can do 3D artwork, but so far I've not seen any results comparable to a CNC router, such as the Sears model referenced above.

The laser will allow you to do some very fine lettering and inlay work, but I agree with the comments so far. Based on the applications you've described, the laser does not sound like the optimal tool for you.

Dave

Kim Vellore
06-19-2008, 1:07 PM
You may be better off and more affordable to start with a small CNC router or the new one that sears has for $1K.

You mean under $2K
Kim

Doug Griffith
06-19-2008, 1:12 PM
Unless you go with the CarveWright CNC already mentioned, CNC software has a steeper learning curve than using a laser because of the added z-axis. Also note that wood chars when engraved with a laser.

Cheers

Kevin Coad
06-19-2008, 1:50 PM
Thanks for the responses. Ive been through alot of this site some questions have been answered.but to start I was thinking of under 5 thou for my engraver (if i had to spend more i could but for now 5 is about right). my 3d pieces would be under 5x5 in and not more than a 1/4 in. to 3/8 in. deep (in oak, maple, cherry, and other hardwoods) maybe some cribbage 4x5 and or chess boards some design in the board itself (haven't seen it done before thought it would look good). grandfather clocks accents. roll top desks, chair backs. no real big 3d pieces really just enough to make them look a step above of the ordinary.

David Fairfield
06-19-2008, 2:20 PM
I think now would be a good time to call the laser manufacturers and request samples of 3D work, do the same for the CNC routers and compare. After samples, see if you can get a demo.

My Epilog laser sales guy was happy to come over with the laser in the back of his truck and fire it up in my garage running some of my own sample files.

Dave

Stephen Beckham
06-19-2008, 10:15 PM
You mean under $2K
Kim

Really??? I thought the biggest selling point on those were that they would be right at a $1,000.... I've never gone it to see one or touch one, because it would grow attached to me and come home with me... So I've never tempted fate on that one - heck I won't even go into Sears until I know I've completed the 10 step program...:eek:

Bill Cunningham
06-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Really??? I thought the biggest selling point on those were that they would be right at a $1,000.... I've never gone it to see one or touch one, because it would grow attached to me and come home with me... So I've never tempted fate on that one - heck I won't even go into Sears until I know I've completed the 10 step program...:eek:

Yup!! And I'll bet it's only 5 steps to the tool department :D

Kim Vellore
06-20-2008, 1:02 AM

Same here I thought it had fallen under 1K and being extremely tempted, jumped online since I too have not completed the 10 step program and it was ~1750. Taking 1 baby step at a time.

Kim