PDA

View Full Version : Comments Please

Ray Mighells
06-22-2008, 8:13 PM
Here's a small job for a local Alpaca farm/ranch. I used ivory acrylic painted black, some flat and some satin. I don't care for the satin, it shows burn shadow. The round ones are 12" dia .25" thick Butternut wood. One of the inlays are Black Cherry the others are Hard Maple. The Alpaca is one of theirs, solid white with blue eyes. The inlays press in real nice and will stand about a 32d" proud of the surface. After they are glued in I'll give them a good wet coat of lacquer.

Curt Stallings
06-22-2008, 8:30 PM
I think they look great! I like the wooden ones best, especially withe the darker inlay. It might help to make the phone number larger.

Curt

Stephen Beckham
06-22-2008, 8:36 PM
Ray - looks great - I agree with Curt, I like the darker one better...

As a side note - I was showed the trick of doing multiples like this. If you've got two to do, put one with the grain horizontal and the other vertical. Then swap the targets. The cross grained look gives you the offset and saves you on a lot of scrap...

James & Zelma Litzmann
06-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Ray, we think they look great, good job!

Clara Koss
06-23-2008, 12:50 AM
i love the wooden one and the darker of the two... there is so much cold and modern stuff out there that when you see the wood it is more welcoming and more eye catching.... thanks for sharing!!!!!:p

Frank Corker
06-23-2008, 4:31 AM
Ray,

You asked for comments, so I'll be honest, not intentionally over critical so keep that in mind.

I like the look of all of them, but I honestly question your choice of fonts. The Brush font going around the outer edge would look clearer if you use an upright font, if it is their choice, then it needs to be smaller. 'Gift Shop' is encroaching too much into your alpacas and needs to be smaller, 'So Soft' is fine and blends in with the graphics which are nice.

On the acrylic, your alpacas need to be negative and not positive. The 'So Soft Gift Shop' goes too far over the animal head and loses it's clarity. I also personally think that if you are using ivory coloured acrylic, leave it that colour and infill with black acrylic. It will look more striking.

Obviously that's just my opinion.

Scott Shepherd
06-23-2008, 8:03 AM
Also, one thing to consider if those are keychains, with that small of an area around the loop, they will break really easy. You might think about keeping that extra "loop" off and just put a small slot in the oval shape. I think you'll have less problems with them breaking. If you do that, use a slot, not a hole, so the keyring can move around. If you make it a hole, the keyring has to stay 90 degrees from the object, which isn't natural when it lays down or goes into a pocket, and the minute any pressure goes on the ring, it will torque the plastic and break it.

Just my opinion (which I learned the hard way).

Ray Mighells
06-23-2008, 2:21 PM
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I am printing for my files. Frank, I really appreciate your critique and your time in doing it. The customer chose the fonts, but I didn't know anything better to offer and it didn't occur to me to try anything else. I'm going to set up another one per your suggestions so I can have something to compare. On the acrylic, I did both ways.. even used different colors for fill but she chose the black. She only ordered 50 so maybe she'll be sick of them before she runs out

Frank Corker
06-23-2008, 6:27 PM
Well with a bit of luck she'll re-order and that'll be a bonus!