PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Tape (masking) problem

Harry Radaza
06-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Finally tried the transfer tape route (masking) for coloring and I can't seem to get it right.

I have medium tack (i think) which I got locally from a vynil sign shop. Masking different materials (mdf, shells, acryilic,wood) and after lasering, some edges would curl up and melt. Which of course would not give me the sharp edges that I want.

Is there different settings used or do you guys just use ordinary settings for the materials?

Really can't figure out whats going wrong.

Scott Shepherd
06-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Did you squeegee it down or just rub it with your hand? If you didn't squeegee it, then try that.

Kim Vellore
06-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Harry,
You might need high tack for wood and porous materials, med tack should work well for acrylic.

Kim

Joe Pelonio
06-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Transfer tape is made for vinyl which is very smooth and/or glossy, and it sticks nicely to it and other glossy surfaces such as acrylic and rowmark.

It also works well on finished wood. For unfinished wood and other more porous materials you can get better results with high tac, but might be better off using wide masking tape.

Mike Null
06-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Harry

FWIW----I will not do color fill on unfinished wood. It is a no win situation as the paint always bleeds with the grain. I've tried every mask there is.

When coloring finished wood the engraved portion must be coated with a clear finish before coloring.