PDA

View Full Version : Something Different, Engraving Coil Stock

Keith Outten
06-28-2008, 10:49 AM
I have had a project going on for months removing two layers of siding from my 100+ year old home and installing new vinyl siding. We are just about finished with the project and have been wrapping the trim with aluminum coil stock the last couple of weekends. On a whim I took a piece of scrap coil stock and engraved it to see what the results might be, I was pleasantly surprised with the results.

Coil stock comes in a variety of colors and roll sizes, mine is white 24 inches wide by 50 feet long. Probably not suited for some tasks but it could be a promising material and the cost per piece would be pennies. You don't need anything but a common utility knife and a straight edge to cut coil stock, even those of you who may not own a workshop could use coil stock if it fits your project needs. Score the back side of the material and bend it slightly a couple times is all it takes to get a nice clean edge.

Note the material has a distinctive surface texture and it won't rust nor would you have to paint it for exterior use, it might be just the ticket for temporary signs or even plaques for some jobs.

The cost per roll is $77.90 so your cost per square foot is 77.9 cents or about one half cents per square inch :) I'm thinking that this would be great for electrical and mechanical tagging jobs plus it could be framed for awards maybe.

David Lavaneri
06-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Keith,

Pretty slick. Looks like it engraved very cleanly. I could see that material being used in the ways you described.

Would definitely be something different and seldom, if ever, seen.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

John Frazee
06-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Before breaking my back and starting a trophy business, I did seamless gutters. The coils of that were about 12 inches wide and came in seven colors. It didn't have any texture to it but would probably work as well. I have a customer wanting an engraved plate to install at the cemetary and this may be the material that would work. Thanks for the reminder!

Keith Outten
06-28-2008, 11:24 AM
I've been giving this lots of thought and I am starting to see lots of applications for coil stock as an engraving material. The aluminum has an annodized coating on both sides and the front is painted. It takes very little power so it is a very fast material to engrave even with low power machines.

I think I will try removing the background leaving the white letters to see what that will look like next.

Dee Gallo
06-28-2008, 12:24 PM
You guys never cease to amaze me!

Angus Hines
06-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Definatly cheaper than Cermark.

Dee Gallo
06-28-2008, 3:27 PM
Well, you inspired me to try this brown piece and it works very well! I don't do photos, so don't laugh at my picture, guys. Thanks for the tip, Keith! I'll have to try a flatter piece next time...

cheers, dee

Keith Outten
06-28-2008, 3:40 PM
Dee, who's laughing?

You photo looks great to me and proves that coil stock has more promise than I expected. This should cut back on the orders from Laserbits and JDS :)

I love finding material to engrave that is inexpensive and available locally :)

Peter Meacham
06-29-2008, 9:36 AM
Man - I can see a niche market here for personalized house gutters :) - Just kidding, of course - great material find!

Keith Outten
06-29-2008, 12:12 PM
A bit more information. The textured surface coil stock is coated with PVC so it is not really suitable for laser engraving but it could be engraved on a CNC router. The anodized or painted aluminum coil stock, like Dee used above, is safe to engrave.

Peter, I know that you were kidding but..................:)

Angus Hines
06-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey who knows, remember what PT Barnum said about, "one every minute":)

Man - I can see a niche market here for personalized house gutters :) - Just kidding, of course - great material find!

Dee Gallo
06-29-2008, 12:53 PM
A bit more information. The textured surface coil stock is coated with PVC so it is not really suitable for laser engraving but it could be engraved on a CNC router. The anodized or painted aluminum coil stock, like Dee used above, is safe to engrave.

Peter, I know that you were kidding but..................:)

WHEW! That could have been horrible! I didn't know there was PVC paint - one more thing to worry about! And one more thing to thank Keith for!

cheers, dee

Robert Alexander
06-29-2008, 11:11 PM
If you wanted to try to save some money:rolleyes: Go visit your local sheetmetal or metal roofing supply company. Where I work we do metal roofing. And we have lots of leftovers from jobs. With all kinds of colors and some metallic finishes also. Most of the roofing we use has a Kynar coating which is good for 20 years +. So with some good quality paint to fill in where you engraved long term durability is not an issue. Go look at some of the manufacutures on the web for the type of colors that are avaliable.