PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Mini 24 Firmware upgrade

Aaron Pin
06-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Hello all. First of all a big thank you to this forum. It was with much research here that I decided to take the plunge into an Epilog Mini 24!

I purchased a lightly used demo machine and have been running many tests. Today I decided to try out the 3D engraving but realized I would need to do a firmware update. It is currently running version 1.0.1.6. However, when ever I try the upgrade process the engraver says "Receiving data" for about 2 seconds and then says "Receiving Error". I cannot get it to update. I've tried doing incremental updates as well with all versions from what I have up to the latest.

I've tried from two different computers (both hooked directly up via USB). I turn the engraver on and off between attempts as well to make sure it has been "cleared".

Has anyone else had an issue with a firmware upgrade before? I will call Epilog on Monday but thought I might check with the experts here over the weekend in the hopes that there was a quick solution.

Thanks!

John Noell
06-28-2008, 2:19 PM
FWLIW, many people here have said that Ethernet is a more reliable connection than the USB.

Aaron Pin
06-28-2008, 5:04 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot. I'm out of open ports on my router but will disconnect something and hook up the Epilog. I'll post back if it is successful.

UPDATE:
I was able to upgrade to the latest version of the firmware by using a Windows XP system via USB. Apparently the Vista systems I tried originally did not want to play nicely with a firmware update. XP worked fine.

Now, the only problem is trying to get the 3D engraving working. The whole point of my original attempt to update the firmware. Whenever I select "3D Engraving" and print, the laser travels to the far edge of the engraver and goes back and forth across the entire image size without actually ever engraving. I thought it was firmware issue but apparently it is something else.

Doug Griffith
06-28-2008, 8:55 PM
You might still want to try ethernet instead of USB to narrow down the problem.

Cheers

Kim Vellore
06-28-2008, 11:50 PM
the laser travels to the far edge of the engraver and goes back and forth across the entire image size without actually ever engraving. I thought it was firmware issue but apparently it is something else.

This could happen if the driver is inverting the image, but it still should be lasering try inverting in the driver to see what happens.

Kim