PDA

View Full Version : 32bit vs 64 bit operating systems

Jim Watkins
06-29-2008, 7:30 PM
I just got a new computer and it runs vista. The problem is that the driver, a 64 bit driver, does not recognize my previously saved .DAT files.

Does anyone know if there is a way to convert the files, or do I have to rebuild my old PC to see the files, open them, and paper copy the settings?

This came up due the the person wanting to mark the blue painters tape. I have some previous settings which was going to share but can not access them...

Any thoughts would be welcome. Peck, your thoughts would be especially useful.

Thanks.

Larry Bratton
06-29-2008, 9:05 PM
Jim:
On this page is a link to the beta version of the driver for 64bit systems and info about same. http://www.epiloglaser.com/downloads_minihelix.htm However, are you sure your running a 64bit system? Just because the OS is Vista doesn't mean it's 64bit. To check, click on Start..then Right click on Computer/Properties.
Their is also a link on this page that gets you a program to convert your old .DAT files to the lastest driver..8.0. Hope this helps.

Jim Watkins
06-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the response Larry. Yes I am sure it is 64 bit. The regular driver did not run my system when I bought the new computer last month. Epilog got me set up and fixed with the 64 bit beta driver.

I'll check out and see about the conversion you're talking about.

Thanks again...

Jim Watkins
06-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Well unfortunately the conversion program must be for conversion of old 32 bit DAT files to the new version8x because the conversion didn't work for me in converting them to 64 bit. I'll have to go to plan B unless Peck has another idea...

Mike Null
06-30-2008, 7:09 AM
Jim

Here's from the MS web site. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx

Dan Hintz
06-30-2008, 8:09 AM
I'm having a difficult time understanding why anyone other than people running network servers and the like would use a 64-bit OS... you severely limit yourself to software choices, and the performance benefit is minimal using 32-bit software on such a machine.

Larry Bratton
06-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Well unfortunately the conversion program must be for conversion of old 32 bit DAT files to the new version8x because the conversion didn't work for me in converting them to 64 bit. I'll have to go to plan B unless Peck has another idea...
Jim:
Well I reckon in that case, your probably going to have to enter them and resave via the 64bit driver. I'm not familiar with 64 bit systems, other than knowing that the software that's out there is pretty limited. Good luck!

Peck Sidara
06-30-2008, 3:00 PM
Jim,

I'll check with our software group this afternoon but my bet is that what you're thinking is correct. 64bit driver uses different coding for the data files than the 32bit driver. Using the new conversion program only allows older 32bit data files to be converted to the new 32bit data files.

I'll see what options we have. Be back shortly.

Jim Watkins
06-30-2008, 5:52 PM
Thanks for all your thoughts guys.

Peck, I'll look forward to what you find out. PS, can you find out when the 64bit system will have a non-beta driver, I like the looks of the new one for the 32 bit systems...:D

Mike, thanks for the link, I'll check it out when I get home tonight and get the system turned on.

Dan, it's not an OS I chose, it just came with the new computer I bought. I didn't want Vista to begin with, but that was what was available to me at the time. I don't know 32 bit from 64 bit from 2 bits:p, but since that is what I have, and it was purchased for business only, I have no choice but to make it work. Besides it seems to run my applications with no issues to date (MS Office, Corel X4, Quickbooks 2008 Pro, and more) plus it does interface with my laser.

If the link Mike provided doesn't work, Larry is correct and I will have to reopen all DAT files in my old PC and copy them down and make new ones for the new PC.

I'll keep you guys in the loop as others will likely have the same issues soon enough.

Peck Sidara
06-30-2008, 6:13 PM
Jim,

No good news here. I have confirmed, the difference between a 32bit data file and a 64bit data file is night and day. Different structure, different requirements and different data string.

Due to the significant differences, I don't forsee a conversion program for these data files to go from 32bit to 64bit.

The 64bit driver is available for test and for those who must run the 64bit OS. Until 64bit OS's start to become the norm and gain popularity, I don't foresee us releasing a full production version that ships with new equipment.

On a personal note Jim, if you purchased the 64bit PC because it was the only one available, I'd recommend returning it. If you don't have a use for the 64bit OS then there's no reason to purchase it. I still beleive most programs, devices and drivers aren't available for the 64bit OS.

Perhaps other members (those more knowledgeable or have followed the 64bit development into the market) can chime in with their opinion.

Your only option at this time is to save the data files on a jump drive, load them up on a 32bit OS, load the Epilog driver, pull em up and write them down.

If getting the data files back require you to rebuild another PC or purchase a new one. Send the data files to me and I'll do the grunt work.

Dan Hintz
06-30-2008, 6:33 PM
For the trouble you're about to endure converting all of those files (and will continue to endure with other software), I would think a switch to 32-bit is WELL worth the price of admission. In fact, your license code may be acceptable to a 32-bit install disc (purchased on eBay or the like), as long as you're not trying to run both at the same time.

Something to consider...

Wil Lambert
07-01-2008, 5:50 AM
I'm having a difficult time understanding why anyone other than people running network servers and the like would use a 64-bit OS... you severely limit yourself to software choices, and the performance benefit is minimal using 32-bit software on such a machine.

I run XP64 on my PC's. So far I am not limited on the software I run. The major software that I run comes in a 64bit version. This is very initialize when you have 2 quad core processors and 8 gigs of RAM. XP32 would not recognize all the RAM but XP64 will :).

There is more use for 64bit OS's than servers. Many of the high end CAD software comes in native 64bit versions.

Wil

Dan Hintz
07-01-2008, 8:20 AM
I run XP64 on my PC's. So far I am not limited on the software I run. The major software that I run comes in a 64bit version. This is very initialize when you have 2 quad core processors and 8 gigs of RAM. XP32 would not recognize all the RAM but XP64 will :).

There is more use for 64bit OS's than servers. Many of the high end CAD software comes in native 64bit versions.

Wil
Wil, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't a market for 64-bit OSs, but that market is definitely not your standard user, and I don't believe it's your small business owner, either. As you said, high-end CAD packages are available in 64-bit versions... "high-end" being the key word. A small business owner (as the majority of us would be considered, I imagine) would be okay with a $500 CAD package, but balk quite a bit at spending $5k. I also imagine the majority of us are using PhotoShop (or equivalent) for our work, but we're typically not using PS's functionality that would show the major speed improvements available with a 64-bit OS... we're not airbrushing 500MB images for magazines, we're working on 5MB images for burning into Corian. The actual laser control driver sees zero advantage from a 64-bit OS. Too much hardware does not have a 64-bit driver... a number of video cards, printers, scanners, etc... you have to be more choosy in your hardware selection to make sure it works with your OS as plug-n-play isn't always so friendly anymore.

In five years, things may have changed in the marketplace and 64-bit OSs are more of the norm (though I doubt it... the next Windows version (Vista part deux?) will still be 32-bit for most machines (with a 64-bit version available, like usual, for the power users)). I liken it to choosing Beta versus VHS in the early days (or HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray of this past year)... stand back and wait until support is there before moving to a format.

Wil Lambert
07-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Dan,

I have to agree that most users will see no benefit from 64bit. This may change in the future but not right now.

I am happy that we are moving back to 64bit. I remember the DEC Alpha chips back in the 90's that were 64bit. What a difference for the time. The benefit running Pro-E back then was amazing. The after DEC died off so did the 64bit systems until the last few years. For some of us it was a needed change.

Wil

Dan Hintz
07-01-2008, 12:11 PM
The day my father brought home a DEC Alpha workstation was a day of pure joy for me :) When he rattled off the specs on the processor, I was giddy. Truth be told, however, I didn't use it nearly as much as the DEC Rainbow that came before it.

Wil Lambert
07-01-2008, 12:56 PM
The day my father brought home a DEC Alpha workstation was a day of pure joy for me :) When he rattled off the specs on the processor, I was giddy. Truth be told, however, I didn't use it nearly as much as the DEC Rainbow that came before it.

The first one I had was the 500mhz version. Man did that make me smile when I got it. It had NT 4.0 64bit on it.

For comparison the fast PC of the day was a Pentium 200pro. Most were 166mhz or lower. Pentium II didn't exist yet.

Wil

Scott Shepherd
07-01-2008, 2:04 PM
The day my father brought home a DEC Alpha workstation was a day of pure joy for me :)

Darn kids today and their DEC systems as children. When I was a kid walking to school in the snow, up hill both ways, coming and going, in my bare feet, all I had was a Commodore 64 that plugged into my TV set with a cassette recorder as the media.

Ahhh....the good old days. Ho Ho's, Big Wheels, TV dinners on aluminum trays :)

Dan Hintz
07-01-2008, 2:48 PM
Darn kids today and their DEC systems as children. When I was a kid walking to school in the snow, up hill both ways, coming and going, in my bare feet, all I had was a Commodore 64 that plugged into my TV set with a cassette recorder as the media.

Ahhh....the good old days. Ho Ho's, Big Wheels, TV dinners on aluminum trays :)
;) You have to understand, my father was/is the statewide network director for a major university dept. The first "real" computer I ever saw was an Apple IIe he brought home back in 1980. That was followed shortly by a white-screen monochrome laptop (LCDs were so poor back then you couldn't move the cursor too fast or you would lose it), then the Rainbow, then the Alpha. They weren't for me, per se, but I definitely received the benefit of being in the same household. I started programming on the Rainbow, been programming ever since.

My personal machines were the ZX80, followed by the Spectrum (with thermal printer, 32k memory upgrade, and cassette tape backup system). These were my main development systems until I purchased my very own 386SX (to the tune of some $2,500, give or take... took out a loan to buy it!).

Michael Simpson Virgina
04-11-2009, 5:18 AM
Most if not all 32-bit application software runs just fine on a 64-bit Windows Vista system. Its the drivers that dont.

Here are just a few reasons to run Vista 64-bit

1. Access to more memory. Very important when Im editing a 21Mega Pixlel image in photoshop.

2. More stable. All vista 64-bit drivers must be certified. This means they have to be tested and go through microsofts certification. That means no crappy nasty driver can sneak into a install can crap out your machine down the line.

3. Almost if not all PC's sold today are 64-bit capable. 64-bit apps on a 64bit os on a 64bit system will run much faster and have access to more of the system resources.

4. You can access more than 2Terra bytes on a single drive. Thos 21MP images take up a lot of space when saved in photoshop format.

Dan Hintz
04-11-2009, 7:50 PM
Most if not all 32-bit application software runs just fine on a 64-bit Windows Vista system. Its the drivers that dont.
When placed into 32-bit compatibility mode, either by the user or by the OS automatically, but at what benefit?

Here are just a few reasons to run Vista 64-bit

1. Access to more memory. Very important when Im editing a 21Mega Pixlel image in photoshop.
Always a good thing...

2. More stable. All vista 64-bit drivers must be certified. This means they have to be tested and go through microsofts certification. That means no crappy nasty driver can sneak into a install can crap out your machine down the line.
Sorry, but not true. If you want to wear the MS-certified logo, then yes, but the vast majority of stuff out there doesn't wear the logo and could care less about spending the money to do so.

3. Almost if not all PC's sold today are 64-bit capable. 64-bit apps on a 64bit os on a 64bit system will run much faster and have access to more of the system resources.
Depends on the app... kind of tough to make my Word processor go any faster (I can only type so fast), those Excel spreadsheets I work with typically don't have enough data to slow down even a 16-bit OS, and m net browser and email program go fast enough on an 8-bit OS to suit my tastes. CAD sees a huge boost, same with imaging, but it always comes back to the application... blanket statements of "It will go faster with 64-bit" are for marketing only.

4. You can access more than 2Terra bytes on a single drive. Thos 21MP images take up a lot of space when saved in photoshop format.
That 2TB limit is per drive... I'm still working with a 200GB drive. Do you currently work with multiple 2TB drives? If so, you're definitely in the minority.

64-bit OSs are definitely the next step, but everyone likes to get on the bandwagon often with little real need.

Bill Cunningham
04-11-2009, 9:22 PM
I just got a new computer and it runs vista. The problem is that the driver, a 64 bit driver, does not recognize my previously saved .DAT files.

Does anyone know if there is a way to convert the files, or do I have to rebuild my old PC to see the files, open them, and paper copy the settings?

This came up due the the person wanting to mark the blue painters tape. I have some previous settings which was going to share but can not access them...

Any thoughts would be welcome. Peck, your thoughts would be especially useful.

Thanks.

Well, just to get back to the heart of the problem, I mark blue tape at 100sp 25%P 300dpi.. :D Sometimes just redoing the dat files is easier.. They will require the odd modification as the machine ages anyway..

Michael Simpson Virgina
04-11-2009, 11:20 PM
I am sorry but you are wrong about 64bit drivers. The OS requires all drivers to be signed. This is not true of 32-bit versions of the OS. This is one reason why some manufactures dont do 64-bit drivers. Nikon and Canon dont do 64bit codecs for there products for this very reason.

It takes both money and resources to be able create 64-bit signed drivers. This keeps a lot of the riffraff out.

As for the drives. I am a videographer as well as photographer and belive me 2TB is nothing when capturing and editing HD Vidios. A single 21MP image saved in Photoshop format can easily reach 300MB or more.

When I do a photoshoot I will take 200-600 photos per session and while I will not keep all of them. My photo directories are now almost 600GB in size.

I wont even get into the space I am using with the videos. I will admint I am not the average user. But the 3GB limit on current 32-bit OS's is driving many to the 64-bit OS.