PDA

View Full Version : A quick Question re preparing for Paint Fill

Roy Nicholson
07-01-2008, 3:28 AM
When preparing the transfer tape for ink fill I take it that you run the laser in vector mode to cut the lettering etc out. I've been trying but I've been running it in raster mode and getting nowhere. The mpenny has just dropped and I've realised that I think I should have been running in vector mode.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Regards

Roy N.

Richard Rumancik
07-01-2008, 10:21 AM
. . . I've been trying but I've been running it in raster mode and getting nowhere.

Can you be a bit more specific in your problem? Hard to help based on this . . .

I've realised that I think I should have been running in vector mode.

If you want to create a recessed area in which you can fill with paint, you would probably want to raster. You COULD vector a line and paint fill if it was wide enough (i.e.multiple adjacent passes), but most paint filling would be done in recesses that were rastered. In some cases it may be more economical time-wise to vector a recess but this is less common.

If you are paint-filling text, you could raster the text and then vector the outline if you wanted a crisper edge. But this would not work well with small text. It will tend to cause the text to look bolder and characters may run together. This would not be noticeable on larger text. Also there is risk of losing the mask inside of the characters with small text.

Please elaborate and someone can help.

Mike Null
07-01-2008, 11:15 AM
If it's your intent to use the mask as a stencil without engraving into the surface you'd still be better off rastering as the weeding job can be very tedious and easy to mess up.

Roy Nicholson
07-01-2008, 5:48 PM
Thanks for that I'll give it a try. Yes it was the stencil effect I was looking for.

Regards

Roy N.