PDA

View Full Version : Bois'darc H/F

byron constantine
07-03-2008, 12:14 AM
This is a 8"/6" hf with a 2" walnut snout, about 3/16" thick. It was bright yellow when i turned it wet. Now it has nearly lost the yellow and turning
beown. The screws from the face plate were too long and left little holes
so i made a shallow inlet and filled it with black epoxy.
Byron

Norm Zax
07-03-2008, 2:35 AM
The epoxy ring is definitely a nice solution. Congrats on the new "vessel".

Jim Maxwell
07-03-2008, 7:43 AM
Nice hollow form. A ring of walnut fitted into the groove would have added a bit more interest?
Jim

robert hainstock
07-03-2008, 7:53 AM
the epox works for me ok. a walnut inlay would be beyond my capabilities.:)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
07-03-2008, 9:22 AM
Byron - very nice hollow form! Good looking wood and finish! I like Jim's idea of a walnut insert but the epoxy works well. Have to admit I would prefer the hollow form with out the 'snout'. To me it detracts from the piece by drawing the eye away from the form.... but that's just me.

Nice work - looking forward to seeing more!

Joseph Peacock
07-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Awsome!!!!!! Nice grain.:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Good looking HF. I don't care for the snout as you put it. I would have cut it down and just left a nice small collar. The black epoxy looks good.

Jim Becker
07-03-2008, 4:00 PM
Osage orange will "brown out" as you have experienced. It's pretty kewel when you are turning it, however, and those bright yellow shavings are flying to and fro!

I kinda agree with Bernie relative to the form...a shorter, and perhaps wider collar would probably be my choice for this form.

Paul Engle
07-03-2008, 4:52 PM
Nice work Byron, other thoughts... on the colar... maybe a flair like a tulip and on the bottom , a ring of walnut , leaving about 1/4" protuding for a base, maybe flaired like the colar to match . I like the shape and the inclusion looks way cool. Kind of a far eastern (Turkish) flavor. I like it, looks like a pomegranite ....;)