PDA

View Full Version : How well do the flexibrass type plastics hold up?

John Noell
07-08-2008, 2:38 PM
Does anyone have experience or know how well the brass/gold plastics (like the Rowmark flexibrass) might hold up in the tropics with high heat and humidity?

Rodne Gold
07-08-2008, 2:52 PM
Indoors , they stay good for like 3-5 yrs but often "crackle" - they put an overcoating over em , but the edges where cut and where engraved start crackleing or tarnishing. We have had no one returning stuff to be re done , but have seen work we have done coming back for plates etc go be added in poor condition. We actually redo the damaged plates gratis.
I would never use the stuff for signage if the areas and sizes are big , it tends to expand and contract quite a bit and you often get buckling etc. If you do use it for signage , back it onto a substrate like perspex with a thicker spongy double sided tape. Not too thick tho , just enough to give a bit when the top layer expands,

Outdoors or in any direct sunlight is a no-no!!!!!!!!!!!

Degusa (Sterling range) and other pex makers actually make products that you can use to "simulate" metals and these last a long time.

Marc Myer
07-09-2008, 1:19 PM
I just used a quick search for Degussa as you suggested. Apparently they are now called Evonik. Looks like they make Acrylite. Can you provide a bit more info on their metallics, like a product name?
I'd love to find more good metallics that can be lasered. I've been using Rowmark MetalGraph Plus, but am looking for more options.

Rodne Gold
07-10-2008, 12:52 AM
Look at the "sterling" range , not the same metallics as Rowmark , but very suitable for long term and abusive type conditions.

andy blackett
07-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Have a look at the Metalgraph plus range from Rowmark, we use it here in the UK and its good stuff. Is UV stable and rated for outdoor use, not too much more expensive than the normal rowmark metals

Andy