PDA

View Full Version : Metal Shear

Brian Robison
07-10-2008, 9:16 AM
OK, not another my laser is better than your laser thread here!
Any one have any feed back on what shear they like best? I need to buy one sooooon.

Angus Hines
07-10-2008, 9:29 AM
Since I'm on the same hunt....Let's hear about your corner rounder too?

Scott Shepherd
07-10-2008, 9:50 AM
I know there are several brands out there, but as a machinist who's cut a lot of metal, I've not seen anything on the market as nice as the AccuCut products. I've looked them over and over and over at every show I've ever been too and they are very well built. Not cheap, but well built.

We've got their guillotine shear on our radar screen. It's not cheap, but I like the guillotine action a lot more than the other action. We just don't cut enough stuff to justify it, but some future plans have it out there on the list, as we grow.

Their website is www.accucutter.com.

Joe Pelonio
07-10-2008, 10:01 AM
I've never had a metal shear, though I do a lot of metal signs. I established a working relationship with a local heating & sheet metal shop. They will charge me a small fee for cutting large quantities, but for one or two cuts will do it free. Most of the time I can talk people into standard sizes that I can buy
ready-to-go.

If I need brass, I also have a trophy shop that will cut to size on their shear and charge me only for the brass.

Brian Robison
07-10-2008, 12:02 PM
I have a couple of shops that help me out for free right now also. I just hate to bother them all the time. I may have a pretty good order of a couple hundred parts coming up and I figured it might be a good time to look into buying a shear. What about the ones that JDS sells?

Brian Robison
07-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Looks like the same one as Johnson's Plastics has.

Angus, Johnson's also has the "Cornermaster" that looks like it would be very useful.

Check out Main Trophy, they have some different shears and punches. Better pricing too.

Joe Pelonio
07-10-2008, 2:34 PM
Check also at Artisan Engraving supply, they sell shears.

Tony Lenkic
07-10-2008, 3:01 PM
If you are looking for a new one than ACCUCUTTER shear would be my first choice. For a used one check out ebay as there are some listed almost all the time.

Mike Null
07-10-2008, 3:48 PM
I tried to post this AM but cable was out.

Just bought new AccutCutter 3001. Was delivered a week ago and have made over 1100 cuts on 7x10 aluminum and steel for plaques. Heavy duty equipment and safe too.

Paid $820, show special, sold my New Hermes for $230 so it wasn't too painful.

The NH was a good cutter; had it for 8 years, cast iron, weighs about 40 lbs. The new one is about 90 lbs.

The NH and similar sell for under $400.

I also have about $500 worth of AccuCutter corner rounders and hole punches. All top notch equipment that won't need to be replaced.

Doug Bergstrom
07-10-2008, 4:50 PM
We have an Accucutter that has been great. Well built and well worth the money.

For a corner rounder we have a Lasco model CR50B. We have had it for about 4-5 years. Works well, never sharpened and we can cut plastic, diebond, alumalite, sintra just about anything with it. I do not remember where we bought it but they have the same model in the Johnson Plastic catalog as a model 50.
Doug

Tony Lenkic
07-14-2008, 4:55 PM
If any one is looking for metal shear check this unit on ebay.

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif
Listing # 330251423351

Jerry Hay
07-14-2008, 8:06 PM
I have an accucutter 2001 evo it was like 300 bucks and is great. I have had no problems cutting with it. I would recommend it for some one who does the small volume of cutting that I do.

Rob Sandall
07-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Hello - I worked in a fast paced trophy/plaque shop for 17 years and we used the same AccuCutter metal shear (12") that entire time. It's still going strong. When I started my own shop recently I immediately bought one. They seem built very well and my experience with them has been excellent. Good luck!

Mark Winlund
07-16-2008, 1:24 PM
If you can find one, Di-Acro makes really good shears.

Mark