PDA

View Full Version : a workbench idea

Tyler Davis
07-13-2008, 11:38 AM
so my neighbor is moving and had some stuff he can't fit in the truck. One of those things is this shop cabinet: solid maple frame and two sets of drawers. I guess he rescued it from the high school shop where he teaches and gave it to me free :cool:

It is 34" by 34" square and I would set it with the blank side facing the center of my shop so I can access the drawers on both sides for tool storage. It does not have a top, and I do not have a proper workbench (hollow-core door glued to a metal table notwithstanding). So I was thinking of making a general purpose benchtop for some light hand tool work, plus clamping for edge routing, sanding, etc. I was thinking of using dimensional construction lumber (pine) and overhanging on three sides for clamping purposes. And also adding a couple vises and some bench dogs. Of course 34" is too deep to reach the back for hand planing, but I would just use that area for general junk storage.

What do you think of this idea? any advice on top thickness/dimensions, vise placement, bench dog placement? Will the drawers interfere if the top overhangs by 4-5"?

Tyler Davis
07-13-2008, 11:40 AM
pictures attached

Jim Becker
07-13-2008, 11:51 AM
I think this is an excellent idea. Just be sure to consider infeed/outfeed needs for your tools so that the bench doesn't interfere and preferably compliments it relative to height, etc. It may be a good idea to also consider double locking casters so you maintain shop space flexibility.

Tyler Davis
07-13-2008, 12:20 PM
thanks Jim - it has simple casters now and I'll be replacing them with double-locking casters

what kind of vises and bench dogs should I be looking at?