PDA

View Full Version : Headboard to be:

Blaine Rueckwald
08-18-2008, 4:00 PM
In the next couple of weeks, once I clear my plate of some other stuff I want to start building a headboard for my daughter. This design is her idea. I just drew it out and now have to build it. The material will be ash. The posts will be 3"x3" and 42" long The bottom rail will be 1 1/2" x 4" x 54 1/2" plus a 1/2"x 3" x 1" tennon at each end. The top rail will be similar but the top edge will be curved and therefore 5 1/2" wide in the middle. The vertical slats will be 1/4" thick by 3 1/2" wide by 16" long set into 1" deep mortices. The long edges will be rounded. The horizontal slats will also be 1/4" thick by 3 1/2" wide set into 1" deep dadoes at each end.
My question is what is the best way to do the weaving. Should I: a) put the vertical slats into the mortices in the bottom rail and then insert and weave the long horizontal slats down from the top or b) insert the horizontal slats and then weave in the vertical slats from the top edge into the mortices in the bottom rail? Either way I suspect I'm gonna need more hands than an octopus has arms.

Blaine

John Shuk
08-18-2008, 6:15 PM
Ash is a good choice for that project. It looks as though it will come out very nicely.