PDA

View Full Version : Simple Green

Byron Trantham
05-08-2004, 5:40 PM
As I promised, I bought and tried Simple Green for cleaning my blades. I couldn't believe it! :eek: Little or no effort to clean them. I used to use oven cleaner but no more. If you haven't tried it, do so. You guys really do know what is what, even cleaning our stuff. :D

Disclaimer: I don't own stock or have any business interest in the company makes this stuff.

Mark Singer
05-08-2004, 5:43 PM
I keep saying "Theres a lot of smart guys here and very few smart alex...."

Charles McKinley
05-08-2004, 5:49 PM
Dilute Dilute Dilute....... Read the direction it is about the only cleaner in my home and it is super concentrated. Great stuff!

Dave Sweeney
05-08-2004, 6:46 PM
Great stuff and it is the cleaner of choice for my blades also. But like everything, too much of a good thing can be bad. A while back on one of the BB's, might even have been this one, a representative of Simple Green advised against prolonged soaking of blades in their product also. Seems that after prolonged exposure to Simple Green there is a chance that the brazing on the teeth could be damaged. I've never had a blade not come clean after soaking for only a few minutes so I will continue to use and recommend Simple Green. My guess is the reps. statement was more of a CYA disclaimer than anything else.

Richard McComas
05-08-2004, 7:47 PM
As I promised, I bought and tried Simple Green for cleaning my blades. I couldn't believe it! :eek: Little or no effort to clean them. I used to use oven cleaner but no more. If you haven't tried it, do so. You guys really do know what is what, even cleaning our stuff. :D

Disclaimer: I don't own stock or have any business interest in the company makes this stuff.
If you think Simple Green works good on saw blades try it on gummed up sanding belts or any cloth backed sand paper.

Spray it on, let set for 10 minutes or so, rinse off with water and let dry.

Bob Cooper
05-08-2004, 9:03 PM
I too have used it a lot -- degreaser, carget cleaner, ...; however i've heard some folks claim that it really encourages rust so take precaution in that regard.

Byron Trantham
05-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Dave and Bob,
I used the straight stuff on my blades by spraying it on, rubbing a little with a toothbrush and rinsing it off with hot water and then drying the blade. the whole process took about 2 minutes.

As I said earlier, I used to use oven cleaner based on a product I bought from a wood show 6-7 years ago and have been using it ever since. I used the same technique with the Simple Green as I did with the oven cleaner except no fumes and no gloves! :D

Joe Suelter
05-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Cool, never thought to use it for that. I have been using it for a long time, though. Even takes bugs off the front of your vehicle..(chrome, not painted!!!!). Also works well for cleaning the B.B.Q., removing cosmoline, cleaning decks/siding, and just about everything else you can throw it at! Never occured to me to try it on my blades..guess now I have a project for tomarrow!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-09-2004, 1:16 AM
Jeez......You guys sold me. I think I'll go out and buy some Simple Green and stock in the company :p :p Seriously, I'll try that stuff on some blades tomorrow a.m.
:)