PDA

View Full Version : "Big Boy" Bed

Russell Svenningsen
05-09-2004, 2:36 PM
Well, it's finished! My son's first "big boy" bed. Lot of sun today, so I monkeyed with the contrast a bit, hope the pics come through clear.

The bed is solid ash, sized to fit a single mattress and box spring. It is finished with water-borne, "Dark Mission Brown" dye and a few coats of poly. Love those dyes. Easy to work with, great colors. My wife wanted me to match another piece in the room with a dark finish. Why ash then? The price was right.......$.60 bd./ft. Plus, it's strong and stable. The rails are 1" X 7" and should support my rambunctious boy no matter what. I designed it myself and am pretty happy with it. I consider myself a novice woodworker, so there are many flaws, but am pleased with the result. At any rate, where are you going to get a solid-wood bed for +/-$100.00(my materials cost)? I'ts dusty and I have to cut the stretchers to support the mattress, but the woodworking is finished.

Thanks for looking!

Russell

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-09-2004, 2:44 PM
Russell
Well, it certainly looks good enough for a "king" or really great big boy!
May he use it with the best of health and happiness.
Daniel ;)

Jim Becker
05-09-2004, 2:46 PM
The bed looks great, Russell! Your son will no doubt get many, many years out of it; clear through college and beyond, no doubt.

Robert Ducharme
05-09-2004, 7:46 PM
Looks VERY nice. I hope when I do my bedroom furniture it turns out half as good. However, one question. wouldn't be easier sleeping if there was a mattress? :rolleyes:

Terry Quiram
05-09-2004, 8:55 PM
Nice and sturdy for a growing boy. I can guarantee he will try to see how high he can bounce.

Terry

Jim Ketron
05-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Great Looking bed, Nice Job

Jim