PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit Brand Question

Dennis Putnam
10-29-2008, 2:33 PM
I'm relatively new at this and am not familiar with all brands of tools. I have Freud and Vermont American bits but I am not familiar with Amana (I thought they made dishwashers :)). I have an opportunity to buy an assortment at what seems to be a "too good to be true" price. Anyway, where does Amana fit in the quality pecking order? TIA.

Jason Beam
10-29-2008, 2:45 PM
If i had to rate the ones I can think of off the top of my head, they would form three distinct groups:

Great:
Whiteside
Amana
CMT
... some others I can't think of

Good:
Freud
Bosch
Viper (those yellow ones at HD)
Porter Cable
... lots of others in this category

Nail finders:
Harbor Freight
Pricecutter
Woodcraft $5 bits
Costco's special
Craftsman
... LOTS fill this cavern. I pretty much avoid any that are super cheap.

Some folks may have perfectly good satisfaction with some of the bits i've listed poorly. My rankings are my opinion and surely some folks disagree. My experience tells me this ranking is pretty accurate. :)

Dennis Putnam
10-29-2008, 2:48 PM
Well, you have Amana at the top so maybe I am getting a deal. I don't want to take advantage of a new widow who is selling her late spouse's tools but I don't want to get ripped off either. Most of the bits seem new. I will probably offer her more then she is asking (averaging $10 each).

Joe Vincent
10-29-2008, 3:46 PM
I agree that Amana is in the top tier of router bits. You might want to look at some pricing online to get an idea as to what new ones sell for. I think, but am not sure, that Holbren.com sells them. I really don't know how to price previously owed but in like new condition bits.

James Walters
10-29-2008, 4:51 PM
Not to be a salesman for Infinity tools, i think Infinity is the best i ever used. Everything from door making bit sets,to roundover bits. Very satisfied with every bit i have of Infinity Tools.

Also have a good asortment of there saw blades to, very happy with them too.
Just bot a 12" mitermax blade for may sliding miterbox, what a fantastic blade.
Just my 2 cents.

Matt P
10-29-2008, 4:53 PM
For what it's worth, the Fine Woodworking 2008 Tool Review Issue reviewed router bits (here is an excerpt below):
"Excellent"": Eagle, Whiteside, Lee Valley
"Good": Bosch.
"Fair": MCLS

Michael Donahue
10-29-2008, 4:59 PM
Where do you folks think the Rockler branded bits fit into the groups? Thanks!

Joe Vincent
10-29-2008, 5:07 PM
For what it's worth, the Fine Woodworking 2008 Tool Review Issue reviewed router bits (here is an excerpt below):
"Excellent"": Eagle, Whiteside, Lee Valley
"Good": Bosch.
"Fair": MCLS

Did they include Amana in the review?

Chris Padilla
10-29-2008, 5:24 PM
I mostly have CMT--the orange bit! :)

Clifford Mescher
10-29-2008, 5:29 PM
Where do you folks think the Rockler branded bits fit into the groups? Thanks!
Rockler rated "very good"- Infinity rated "excellent". Woodtek rated "excellent".Clifford
Edit: CMT rated "good."

Peter Quinn
10-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Amana makes some of the best router bits and saw blades I have used. Not cheap, but good. They do have a less expensive Timberwolf line that I cant speak for, but the main Amana line of cutters is among the best available.

glenn bradley
10-29-2008, 11:07 PM
I would have no fear of the Amana bits. I have a few mixed in with my Whiteside's (first choice for bits that I'll have sharpened over and over) and my Freud's and they do just fine over the long haul. Don't get me wrong. I take advantage of the $5 Woodcraft sales and have a few Rockler's as well. All my MLCS bits died a premature death for the cost.

Matt P
10-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Did they include Amana in the review?

I don't remember, sorry!

jack duren
10-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Amana brand bits are second to none. Pricey for a reason. Tested 2 raised panel bits 2 yrs ago. Freud and Amana. Freud-175 panels. Amana-350....Jack

scott spencer
10-30-2008, 7:23 AM
My best bits are Infinity, Whiteside, Freud, and CMT. Avoid the off brand cheap stuff. Never tried Amana bits but their top blades are very good. Buy 1/2" shank whenever possible.

There are decent midgrade imports at reasonable prices that make sense for some seldom used profiles..MLCS, Holbren, Woodline, Woodcraft, Grizzly, Rockler, Price Cutter, etc.

FWW 2007 Comparison:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/BIT-TEST-1.jpg

Eddie Kaden
10-30-2008, 7:51 AM
FYI, since we are discussing quality bits, if you haven't been to your local Woodcraft Store lately, they've appearantly switched from the CMT line to the Whiteside line as their upper priced line. They have been offering 25% off of all of the CMT bits and it sounds like they will be on sale until they are sold out.

glenn bradley
10-30-2008, 9:45 AM
I don't remember, sorry!

They did include Amana. They were rated "good". Cumulative score below Bosch but above CMT and Freud.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDF/011191046.pdf