PDA

View Full Version : Weekend project with my son

Eric Roberge
11-12-2008, 10:22 AM
My son and I built this wall mount compressor stand over the weekend. It was something that I saw in a magazine and thought it would be a useful and fun project. I prepared the plywood on Saturday and my seven year old son and I put it all together on Sunday morning. I try not to make things too difficult for him because I don't want to lose his attention, but he was able to measure, drill all the countersink holes and drive the screws.
From time to time, I’ll take my two girls along to the HD kids’ clinics. We have a ball!:D
Is there anyone else out there working with the future woodworkers of America?:) (Plywood should only be about $100/sheet by the time he's 18:eek:
The second picture is of my finished out feed table for the new saw…Love it!
Thanks to the great ideas that I got here at the Creek!

John Thompson
11-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Nice job for he and you. "He was able to meausre"..... My son is much older and gets confused doing fractions. If he can measure at that age and understand the increments... that is definitely good. I don't approve of allowing the kids to use calculators in grade-school but that is is topic that doesn't belong here on a WW forum.

Very nice and good for you for giving them an early start regardless if they persue latter. At least they get a taste and they can determine if they liked it or not.

Sarge..

Jim Becker
11-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Productive weekend including having a great helper!

And yes, it's scary to think about what all our leisure activities might cost when our kids are adults...

Eric Roberge
11-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Nice job for he and you. "He was able to meausre"..... My son is much older and gets confused doing fractions. If he can measure at that age and understand the increments... that is definitely good.
Sarge..

We only break down in 1/4 increments right now. I use money for the analogy. You know, "if you had a dollar and gave your sister 50 cents... ok that's half, etc... The method seems to work well for him. He has his own set of Kobalt hand tools and can only use power equipment with me and a firm grip helping him. (i.e. chop saw, orbital sander and brad or finish nailer) It's amazing how it impacts his confidence level.
I learned all I know from my Dad and I hope to be able to pass some of this wonderful talent onto my kids.

Thanks guys!:D

Greg Cole
11-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Productive weekend including having a great helper! And yes, it's scary to think about what all our leisure activities might cost when our kids are adults...

Eric,
Nice job, organization is a must. And personally getting things up off the floor and out from under foot is a must.
I too have a very willing helper alot in a 7 year old boy. He's eager to do any and everydarned thing I do.;)

Jim,
I dunno, my little dude will have a whole bunch tools handed down to him to take the edge off the $ outlay. If my father had some older arn or a galootish pile of neander tools for me, I'd have saved oodles in the last year (or found some other way to spend that $ is more like it).