PDA

View Full Version : WIA: Part 3 of 3 - Forgotten Workbenches and Workholding

Al Navas
12-14-2008, 8:09 AM
This is the last video on my blog on the session on Forgotten Workbenches and Workholding, with Christopher Schwarz. More videos to come...

From my blog: (to find my blog: click on my name, select Contact Info tab | select my Home Page)

This episode is all about workholding:

1. Face vises - Racking is the main reason The Schwarz does not like them.
2. Leg vise: Elegant, cheap, GREAT!
3. Shoulder vise: Best choice for dovetailing drawers - it is fast. It is great, but too complex.
4. Crochet: Used with holdfasts, it is great, and cool.
5. Sliding dog vise: Otherwise called the Wagon Vise. Recently installed one on of his benches.
6. End (tail) vise on European-style benches: Fragile, and they sag!
7. Dogs: Round or square? Likes square, bur coming around to round. It is hard to make square holes. The round dogs are best because there is a large after-market that caters to these.
8. Battens: Offer an effective way to work: Low profile, and cool.
9. Planing stops: Made from scraps; make them as thin and wide as possible; install on the face vise.
10. Planing boards: Great if the workbench is not flat; Chris has made available a construction drawing on his blog.
11. Deadman: Installed on his Roubo; has nothing but praise for it.
12. Other benches: Concrete block bench; wheelwright's bench, with leg vise and cabinets; the Modern Roubo"; the English hybrid, with angled leg vise but straight legs; Moxon's bench; the "sink" bench (laughter!), which is a Shaker bench corrupted.

The Schwarz answered many questions, all terrific and relevant, until he ran out of time. The discussion could easily have run much longer, but everyone had to run to lunch, to the Marketplace, and to other terrific sessions.

I took a good look at the construction of the sliding deadman...

The following is a screen shot of the video - it shows a very simple planing stop that The Schwarz uses on his bench:

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/benches-3-screen.png

Al
On my blog you can watch videos I shot during
Woodworking in America in Berea, KY.

Thomas Knighton
12-14-2008, 9:42 AM
About time ;)

Seriously, thanks for sharing this. I really enjoyed it!

Tom

Al Navas
12-14-2008, 10:38 AM
:D:):cool:;):rolleyes::eek::o:p.

Tom,

Just saying "you are welcome!".

Be watching for lots more (video from WIA) on my blog.