View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

  1. Almost done

    Well, almost done!
    Today I applied the 1st coat of the beeswax and BLO finish to the bench. I heated it in a double boiler until the wax was all melted and then applied it with a foam brush. I think I am going to be pleased with the results. I think I will put 1 or 2 more coats on the top, but the leg assembly and shelf are done with one. Here are a few pictures.

    The first 2 are of the bowtie inlay I did to patch a flaw in the top. The last one is meant to show the color difference ...

    Updated 07-19-2008 at 3:48 PM by Larry Browning

    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Images
  2. Plantation Shutters Part 10

    I then reassembled the shutters and did a dry fit just to make sure everything fit.

    Here are the shutters in the closed position (no control bar or hinges... That's coming this weekend.):


    Here are the shutters in the fully open position:



    Here is a view from the outside: ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Plantation Shutters Part 9

    After doing a dry fit, I sanded the Louvers to clean them up. I found the easiest way to do this was to mount my Festool RS 2E 1/2 sheet orbital sander upside down in the bench vise and lightly sand each louver with 120 grit paper. Since they are made of Basswood, it doesn't take much to remove the imperfeactions. Using the sander right side up was too aggressive.



    Before priming, I will ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Plantation Shutters Part 8

    Next, I cut the recess for the Louver bar in the top and middle rail using the following jig:



    This one was super easy to make and basically utilizes a 1" guide bushing and a 3/4" straight bit to cut recesses 13/16" wide by 1" high by 9/16" deep.



    ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Plantation Shutters Part 7

    This weekend, I managed to make a lot of progress on the shutters. If I don't have too much homework next weekend, I will hopefully finish them up and prep them for Priming...

    First, I drilled the holes for the lovours. They were spaced 2 1/8" a part, leaving about 1/8" overlap on each lovour. I first laid out the holes. I found it easiest to measure 1 stile and then copy the measurements to the others since they should all be the same.

    ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized