Originally Posted by dennis thompson
Went to Home Depot on Saturday to buy the Ridgid R4512 saw. Worked with two different associates, both of whom were completely useless, I wanted to make sure the saw was made in 2016, after the trunnion issue was fixed. Left the store completely annoyed with them. I really wanted the saw so I went back early Sunday morning and asked for the manager. It was like I was in a different store, the manager and his assistant were great. They got a fork lift to get the saws down from a high rack, allowed
(Continued) After the fit is good, The leaves are glued in. After they dry, I scrape off the paper.
Placing Ebony.jpgCut Ebony.jpgInlay Prior to Scraping.jpg
I then cleaned up the surface and shot the edges. A Coat of BLO and let to dry overnight.
Shooting Edges.jpgCoat of BLO.jpg
Now I need to figure out what to do with the panel. I'm thinking I will re-saw it and make it a door for a
I am down to the part I have been dreading, the inlay. I have always liked the Japanese Brush and Ink Drawings. I travel with a sketchbook, brushes and pens. I found I was interested in this type of motif could be added to a cabinet. Here is a concept sketch.
Brush and Ink.jpg
I then spent a bit of time scaling this and composing it on the box.
So, I thought I would do a practice panel to ensure I was
Well the end seems in sight now. I have a coat of finish on the legs. I also fastened the top handle. So next it was mortising of the hasps and then fashioning the attachment plate.
I cut the mortises for the hasps. I rough out with my Dremel set up for inlay and then pared carefully with a chisel to my layout lines. After mortising, I put a coat of finish down to avoid getting finish on the hasps. I had cast the hasps last fall from bronze. That was a bit frustrating as twice I cracked
I haven't posted on the blog for a while. Between work, travel and a few intervening projects (Guitar, Table, Shoe rack, etc…) I hadn't made much progress recently on the stand. I did cast the hasps and fabricated the pins last fall but didn't take pictures. Well, I sourced the walnut leg material and found some nice straight grained thick QS stock for the legs and started the fabrication.
I worked up the basic design in Sketchup to explore my ideas. I