Well the end seems in sight now. I have a coat of finish on the legs. I also fastened the top handle. So next it was mortising of the hasps and then fashioning the attachment plate.
I cut the mortises for the hasps. I rough out with my Dremel set up for inlay and then pared carefully with a chisel to my layout lines. After mortising, I put a coat of finish down to avoid getting finish on the hasps. I had cast the hasps last fall from bronze. That was a bit frustrating as twice I cracked
I haven't posted on the blog for a while. Between work, travel and a few intervening projects (Guitar, Table, Shoe rack, etc…) I hadn't made much progress recently on the stand. I did cast the hasps and fabricated the pins last fall but didn't take pictures. Well, I sourced the walnut leg material and found some nice straight grained thick QS stock for the legs and started the fabrication.
I worked up the basic design in Sketchup to explore my ideas. I
From 2011: “There was a spirited discussion in the design forum around using SketchUp vs drawing by hand. I am a proponent of designing by hand, so if something else works for you, do it. First, I should explain that I never use anyone else's plans unless I am taking a class. I am also an Architect, Artist and Musician which may give some insight as to my nonconformist attitudes. I am not trying to espouse that you should design this way or that this way is the best, but merely that this is my way.
I usually design things out. Sometimes, however I just work on the fly. LOML wanted a bench and a mat for our entry. I had a couple of slabs that I picked up a couple of years ago. Time to get to work.
The first was a slab of urban forested California Pepper. It was ~3" thick and ~6' long with a wane edge on each side. It also had some serious checks in the ends. It did however have a crotch and some nice spalt. First was to stabilize the piece. I had it stored for two years and