Thread: Sanding Disc not sticking

Sanding Disc not sticking

How can I ensure that a new self-adhesive sanding disc will stick to the plate on my disc sander? I cleaned all of the stickiness from the plate with goo-off, and I made sure that I put pressure all over the plate to help it stick, but after a few minutes, it was coming off on the edge.

Get a Hook & Loop disk for your sander and throw away that piece of junk PSA disk.
    I changed my ROS from a 6" PSA disk to a H&L disk the day after I bought it.
    The disk failed and it left glue goo on a toy box I was making. BOY, was I ever one pissed off Jose~!
    I've never considered a PSA disk again. I have the disks left for it, but won't ever put them back on. I use them on sanding blocks for hand sanding.
    And I made a cool holder for the disks for the H&L sanding disks. So easy to change disks!

Use some naptha to clean your PSA disk off. Goof Off has some oily substance in it. Great stuff, but has a residue.

Porter,

I agree. The hook and loop work much better than the adhesive. It will not be affected by humidity changes in the weather like the adhesives will. If you own an expensive sander I agree just change the base, if you own a cheap sander I say use the sandpaper you have on hand and put the thing on ebay. Get what you can get out of it and move to the hook and loop. You won't regret it.

I don't disagree about hook and loop, but I imagine you have a bunch of PSA and want to use them up.

I use 3M type 90 spray adhesive to glue the pad back on. When you go to take it off, you may have a bit more work to get it off (maybe even a mess), but it will stick the pad to the surface.

Type 77 is easier to clean up, but doesn't stick as well - it's considered a "temporary adhesive. But if type 90 is too much for you, try the type 77.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-27-2008 at 11:46 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Poor (or old) adhesive or manufacturing. It happens. The only thing worse is one you can't get off, or that leaves a mess. I'd toss it and try another - or another brand. I once had a batch were some halfwit had actually applied the adhesive sandwich backwards. Took 2hrs with a scraper and mineral spirits to get the residue off. Since then I only use the Klingspor brand. No problems sticking or removing. 3M is good too, though the size selection is limited.
    - Tom

I'll try some spray adhesive on it next time.

What is a "PSA disc"?

It's not easy to find but Franklin Int'l makes

sanding disk cement. You can make PSA paper out of any sandpaper with a reasonably heavy backing.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Porter Bassett View Post
    How can I ensure that a new self-adhesive sanding disc will stick to the plate on my disc sander? I cleaned all of the stickiness from the plate with goo-off, and I made sure that I put pressure all over the plate to help it stick, but after a few minutes, it was coming off on the edge.
    I would make sure you get all the residue of the goo-off off the plate as well. Make sure it is a dry and non-oily surface as some of those googone products leave an oily residue. Something like rubbing alcohol would probably get everything off after the goo-off.

PSA = pressure sensitive adhesive? my first guess.

Try a heat gun or hair dryer. Heat the platen before applying the disc. It will stick better.

If this is a stationary disk sander, H&L is probably not the best way to go as these tools are generally used for shaping, rather than general surface work. You don't want the "cushion" that H&L provides in that case. I'd suggest you try the heating and adhesives that others have suggested as a solution to the issue of the disks not sticking. Once your supply of those is gone, try to source a better quality product as my suspicion is that your stock is either bad or old.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...