Thread: 37-280 parts/fix

37-280 parts/fix

I picked up a used delta 37-280 jointer at a yard sale, looks good, and it seems to work OK. But the cutter head does not seem straight as it holds the cutters in place.

As I was cleaning and trying to adjust the cutters, I found that the outer edges of the aluminum cutterhead are bent slightly outward (maybe too much pressure from tightening the hold down screws?). The cutters bend toward the head as the screws are tightened on both ends of the head. Some cutters need to bend more that others to sit flat against the head (3 knife cutterhead) I'm guessing this is not a factory condition, and the head is deformed?? but not sure.

I have tried to find a replacement cutterhead (part no 1342345) but no luck so far. If this item is no longer available, what kind of fix is recommended if any? I think if I do find a cutterhead It would cost more than the machine is worth.

This is the jointer that does not have an adjustable outfeed table. The knifes must be adjusted level with the outfeed table. Not an easy task, any suggestions on a good way to do this adjustment would be appreciated.
    Thanks

3 posts and nobody welcomed you to the Creek?

Well... WELCOME TO THE CREEK.

I can't answer your question but I would advise not buy a new cutter head until you are sure that is the problem as they are pricy. These types of problems or similar ones come up here often. Someone will help you out. Glad to have you!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Bump

Is there anyone who can help our new member John out?
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I'd be a little leery of using it with that problem unless you know the blades won't fly out under power. An aluminum head will get beat up alot quicker than a steel one. How much deflection is there? Can you measure it with a feeler gauge? I it isn't 'too' much (somewhat subjective) you might be able to file the cutterhead. I'd not take more than .015" since this is a pretty small jointer. You'd have to take the same amount of metal off all three slots to keep it in balance. Since this is a consumer model the tolerances probably aren't that good anyway and basically a disposable item. A guy with a milling machine should be able to clean it up too.($) All jointers have to have the blades set in relation to the back table anyway. i would think the bending blades would throw everything off anyway while tightening them up. Get a magnetic setting jig. (Unless the back table is aluminum.) Last resort -make a solid head and coat it with sandpaper and make a miniature drum sander.

I would hesitate to use the jointer under any condition. You mention *bending* which absolutely should not BE in a cutter head. The aluminum cutter head has been abused and may even be cracked. If you look on eBay long enough you may be able to pick up a steel 6" cutterhead which may be reworked to fit your machine.

If not, just chalk it all up to experience. Buyer Beware! unless you know what you are getting into!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

37-280 Thanks

Many thanks for the advice, shaving the center of the head seems viable. The cutter head is bowed at the edges only .010 + or - a thousand, and there is enough thread left in the screws to take up the slack. I think I can do this in my limited shop, files/straight edges etc.

There are no visible cracks and I did run a board thru it before checking and pulling things apart. Seem to run OK but cutters were not adjusted very close. The machine set me back only $75 so no great loss but a good learning experience.

I also notice "after purchase" that the outfeed table is very flat but the infeed table is bowed in the middle about 20 thousands. The infeed table is flat for about 1 1/2 inches from the throat then bows down until 6 inches from the end.(17 inch infeed and outfeed tables)

The -- Good News-- I now have some limited experience in looking at jointers. Next time I can at least bring my calipers, feeler gages and straight edges when looking at a used jointer.

Looks like I'll regroup and save up for a "New or Good used one." Maybe that 8-incher everyone talks about may be in my future.

Thanks again
    John

Update on 37-280 "fix"

Pulled the cutterhead out and put it on a press and bent the edges of the head back in, miked the slots and got them within + - a thousand. seemed to work just fine.
    Pulled the tables off and lapped them in with sandpaper on a sheet of 1/4 inch plate glass. Got them flat to within a thousand, put it all back together and sharpened the cutters. Runs and cuts like a champ.
    I think an investment in a magnetic cutter adjustment would be much better than trying to adj. using trial and error method, it's so time consuming.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
    john