Hi Folks,
Lately I have seen quite a few of our "new" folks who are interested in turning. I agree with all of you turners who would say, "FORGET IT!! IT'S ADDICTIVE!!" On the other hand, some will persevere and test this perverted sub-species of wood working. Therefore, let's try to help these "challenged" folks. The following are only my opinions. Please educate me - I'm always in the "klutz" category.

First: Form tools; A few years ago, I bought a "form tool" which was intended to make 3/8" beads. Sure. It worked. For a few beads. Then it needed to be sharpened. Good luck for the amateur! Even when sharp - remember that these form tools are "scrapers". They will never give you the same 1800 grit finish that I am accustomed to with my Raffan skew.

Seriously, though, practice your beads with the skew (master the skew and tool sharpening and you've got it made) or the spindle gouge. It's a lot more challenging but also a lot more satisfying.

Second: Mini tools; Mini lathes are apparently becoming very popular. I certainly endorse that because I have recently "activated" my Jet VS mini. I LOVE it! It is well built, accurate and resists "chatter" better than I would have expected. If you have a new "mini" of any kind, consider the following:

Typical logic says that a mini-lathe demands a mini tool set. I have a mini tool set for my BIG lathe. It is really cute and looks good hanging on the wall of my shop. If you have infinite $$, buy a set to make your shop look complete. Otherwise, forget it!

Lathe logic says that the mini-lathe (or any other lathe) requires a a tool set that will minimize "chatter". The mini-lathe, by defintion, does not have the mass of a large lathe. "Mass" is the key to minimizing "chatter". Since the mini-lathe has less "mass", it only makes sense that a tool set with a larger "mass" will give you better results. The bottom line: Go with a full-sized tool set. Go ahead and make mistakes. I don't want to brag but I'm a MASTER at mistakes!!

Secondly, mini-tool sets are quite hard to sharpen. Their small "mass" makes them a small "heat sink". They "burn" quite easily. That takes the temper out of the tool and makes them useless. A "Pro", with a soft touch, can sharpen and use these tools. An "Amateur" with our typical "hard" touch will just waste our $$$!

The above are just my observattions. Let's help the "newbie" turners and tell them the facts. As many of you know, I am ALWAYS wrong! Give us your inputs and correct me where I'm misguided!! HELP!!

Dale T.