Thread: Veritas quick release tail vise

Veritas quick release tail vise

I am in the process of designing and building a woodworking bench. I've never had one or used one before, but I know I need one. I started looking at vises and found they would be fairly complicated to build. I saw the Veritas quick release tail vise and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. They seem to serve the basic function of a vise without the complicated construction required of other vises. Any comments? opinions? suggestions? Thanks in advance. gerry

Blog Entries
    I just finished a bench, and used the tail vise hardware from lee valley... I built the bench for a friend and we tossed around the idea of using the veritas quick release vise.
    I have played with the quick release vise at a couple of ww shows and would have absolutely no hesitation about putting it on a bench as long as you like the way it looks... it functions beautifully.
    Having just built one of the end vises, it was interesting to say the least, and I'm not sure I will not have to go in and modify it at some point... there just seems to be a lack of thought in the design IMO. maybe I missed something. I know they recomend using the plans Frank Klausz used in the workbench book, but I don't have the book so I winged it.

163309_281771565284482_629522609_n.jpg531498_281774581950847_1907958604_n.jpg
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

I too am contemplating this vise. However, (not to hi-jack) I am also contemplating the Veritas Twin Screw End vise. If it truly resists racking then what ops can be performed on a tail vise that won't work on an end vise? I'm sure it's obvious, but I'm not getting it... thx.

Thanks for your input guys.