Thread: Sputtering while spraying latex

Sputtering while spraying latex

I had some trouble with sputtering while spraying some latex today. I thinned with a little water and added Floetrol, used a bigger tip on my gun and increased the pressure at my remote pot but it was spitting the paint out. Should I increase the pressure at the pot even more? I currently have it at 20 PSI, I usually have it around 8 PSI when I spray USL. I had to spray plantation shutters this summer and don't remember having this problem.
    I put on two coats of primer and sanded them smooth so there isn't a realy problem yet. However, I have to put the top coats on tomorrow and I'm hoping to avoid this issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spraying Latex

I have sprayed Sherwin Williams acrylic by using a #7 nozzle set and using a 4-stage turbine system. Got excellent results.

I'm using a 1.7 mm tip (recommended to me by Homestead) and everything worked fine when I used it this summer. I've blown out the lines so there isn't anything stuck in there. Will increasing pressure at the pot help to eliminate splattering. It's like the gun is spitting globs of paint.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It sounds like you need to thin the paint some more. Jeff Jewitt gave me the following info the first time I was spraying paint.

Get a 1 quart mixing cup and put in 3 ozs of water and 3 ozs of Floetrol. Fill to the top with paint and stir well.

I followed his instructions and the paint sprayed well. Just keep the same ratio for your pressure pot and see how it works. I can't help with the pressure settings, I use a gravity feed gun.

On my gun, the pot is on the gun, so this may not apply to your set-up. However, if I forget to close the pressure-relief valve, the finish doesn't feed properly, and the gun may sputter.