Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions from a newbie

Questions from a newbie

Are Wood River HSS turning tools that woodcraft sells any good? This is my first post and I know nothing about wood turning but I have been wanting to try a new hobby for a while, so I bought a Jet mini lathe today and now I am just looking for some other tools to get started. Is the beginners set that woodcraft has on sale for $86.00 any good or should I get something better? I am interested in mainly making pens and shaving brushes. I am also thinking of getting a drill press. Any suggestions as to what else would be useful to a newbie would be much appreciated. Thanks Travis

The thing that would be most helpful is more money!!! And then some more money! We don't call it the vortex for nothing.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Dont know about the Wood River but the Pinnacle line seems to be good stuff. I have a parting tool and a bowl gouge and have no complaints.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I bought my first set from Harborfright ($60.00) and I am still using them. I do not turn as much as some of the others but it was an inexpensive start. I have just started buying the GOOD ones since I can only afford to by them 1 at a time.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35444

Travis - Welcome to the Creek! Lots of great folks here to help you out with any and all question regarding turning!

When starting out I would suggest getting the harbor freight HSS turning set. They carry 2 models, one is $60, the other around $40 if I remember correctly. I have been turning for 4 years now and still use the $40 set that bought. They aren't the very best of tools but the steel is good and it makes sense to learn how to sharpen on cheaper tools than on a $100 one.

You will also need some means of sharpening your turning chisels. A lot of us use the Woodcraft slow speed grinder and the Wolverine sharpening system but there are many options when it comes to sharpening.

Protection for you such as a faceshield (bare minimum) and some means of dust control.

As you will note - you are entering the vortex and it eats all your time and money as there are always more tools to buy, bigger lathes, and more tools!

Congrats on your new lathe! It should serve you well! Also, we really like lots of photos here! Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Travis - Welcome to the Creek! Lots of great folks here to help you out with any and all question regarding turning!

When starting out I would suggest getting the harbor freight HSS turning set. They carry 2 models, one is $60, the other around $40 if I remember correctly. I have been turning for 4 years now and still use the $40 set that bought. They aren't the very best of tools but the steel is good and it makes sense to learn how to sharpen on cheaper tools than on a $100 one.

You will also need some means of sharpening your turning chisels. A lot of us use the Woodcraft slow speed grinder and the Wolverine sharpening system but there are many options when it comes to sharpening.

Protection for you such as a faceshield (bare minimum) and some means of dust control.

As you will note - you are entering the vortex and it eats all your time and money as there are always more tools to buy, bigger lathes, and more tools!

Congrats on your new lathe! It should serve you well! Also, we really like lots of photos here! Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!
    Amen. My point exactly.

I agree with what Steve said and he gave you the bare minimum needed. I got this set of tools from Penn State Industries and still use most of them today after 3 yrs. I have a lot of $100 tools but still reach for these a lot of the time. These are the only tools I used for about 1 1/2 yrs.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html

I would also suggest you check out to see if you have any turning clubs or woodcraft stores near by and take some classes. It will save you a lot of time learning. I am self taught as a lot of us are because we have nothing close to attend. So books and DVD's are it for learning resources.

By the way welcome to SMC. Lots of good people here and lots of knowledge.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The tools Bernie mentioned from Penn State are good tools. I have a set and still use them. I also discovered first hand that Penn State will stand behind their tools. The chisels Steve mentioned are also good especially for learning to sharpen and find out that grind you like. They're also a good source of metal if you decide to make some of your own scrapers etc. in the future.
    Welcome to turning.
    Dave

If you want to try saving money, PSI chisels can be found on Amazon to at a lower price usually. If you buy enough it can be free shipping too.

Lots of excellent advice so far, Travis. Here is my advice to help you save lots of time, maybe some money and certainly frustration. This link will help you locate a hopefully nearby AAW chapter where you're likely to meet lots of friendly and helpful folks willing to get you started quickly, and safely. I wish I'd done this much sooner when I started.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/...alChapters.asp

Cyril

Thanks for the warm welcome. I can see how this is going to be a vortex sucking black hole that takes away time and money. My local woodturners (Anchorage, Alaska) club is having a meeting this Saturday that I plan on attending. It looks to be pretty big as about 50-70 people attend once a month. They will be demonstrating different pen turning techniques. I can't wait! I am ordering the Benjamin's Best Tool set as suggested, it won't be shipped out till next week because of inventory, so I am getting the urge to go purchase at least one tool to start turning something. Is there one tool that I could purchase that might get me started turning that I could finish up with sandpaper?(for pens) I was thinking a spindle gouge maybe? Again thanks for the help, Travis

Hello, welcome to the abyss. Soon you will want a chuck, then a hollowing set, then a biiger lathe......that's why we call it the abyss. I have both the Harbor Freight/Windsor Design tools, and the Wood River/Pinnacle set from Woodcraft. I strongly prefer the Pinnacle set. The handles are long, and that makes the tool easier for me to control. They also hold an edge a bit better. My suggestion would be for the Pinnacle/Wood River set.

Good luck, and welcome to the group.

Dan Heine

weblinks.....

here's a couple of weblinks to throw your wallet at. I shop Woodcraft locally and online as well as these suppliers. I'm not employed by any of them. I have also shopped at merchants that advertise on SMC. Availability tends to be my biggest purchase decision factor. Craftsupplies has a sale ending today on their Henry Taylor tools.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com
    http://www.packardwoodworks.com/

I think my favorite go to tool would be a 1/2" bowl gouge with a side grind, like the Ellsworth. I can use it to rough out something like a pen blank, use it for spindle work and even as a skew.

Travis,
    I turn all my pens with only a 3/4" spindal roughing gouge. Lots do it with only a skew, but there is a bit more of a learning curve there.
    I lived in Anchorage for 5 years in the 70's. Best 5 years of my life. Going to get back there someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Stanton View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I can see how this is going to be a vortex sucking black hole that takes away time and money. My local woodturners (Anchorage, Alaska) club is having a meeting this Saturday that I plan on attending. It looks to be pretty big as about 50-70 people attend once a month. They will be demonstrating different pen turning techniques. I can't wait! I am ordering the Benjamin's Best Tool set as suggested, it won't be shipped out till next week because of inventory, so I am getting the urge to go purchase at least one tool to start turning something. Is there one tool that I could purchase that might get me started turning that I could finish up with sandpaper?(for pens) I was thinking a spindle gouge maybe? Again thanks for the help, Travis
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem