Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Table saw vs. Track saw

Table saw vs. Track saw

Hi,
    I have been reading on the DeWalt Track saws along with the reviews. Currently I have a Jet table saw (XactaSaw) and a DeWalt DW718. I normally just stick to projects around the house and may try doing some cabinets for the closets. The DeWalt will do most any mitering that I might need. With that said, what will the table saw do for me that a track saw can't or vise versa? I guess I am looking for pros and cons.

Oh boy... what is the brand name on that can of worms?

I just put some popcorn in the microwave. This is going to be a good one
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 12-30-2008 at 2:50 PM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Thanks, LOL

I look forward to this thread. I have been eyeing the Eurekazone EZ-Smart system.

My question is with track saw systems, how do you make sure your cut is at 90 degree?

I would think that you would have to have a true edge to begine with and the measure from there. But, that is one point twards the table saw.

Well... yea where are the novel writers on this one?

table saw can do dado, grooves, rabbet, cross cut and setups for repeatable cuts either rip or crosscut. Track saw not so...

you can cut tenons, raised panels, miters, splines, etc on table saw. Track saw not really..

You can swap all types of blades for different woods, products, cuts and better quality than what you can find for a dewalt circular saw.

a few things to consider....

The tracksaw is great (I have the Festool), but you really also need a tablesaw IMHO.

With the tracksaw -- in the time it takes to make your pencil marks, get your track perfectly on the line, hook up the dust collector, plug everything in, then make the cut..... get the picture? With a tablesaw, you just set the fence and make the cut.

That said, there are obviously times when a tracksaw (or even just a skillsaw with a straightedge or chalk line) makes more sense. This is especially true if you need to make cuts outside of the shop and can't take the tablesaw with you. The tracksaw is a remodeler's dream!

For me, the track-type saw made sense to buy because I cut a lot of plywood for cabinets and such. For me, it's just much easier to be able to take the saw to the material instead of the other way around (especially in a shop as tiny as mine). But for the most part, it's much easier for me to use the tablesaw when I just need to make a handful of quick cuts, provided that the workpieces are a manageable size.

Plus -- tablesaws are just plain FUN!!! I'm still drooling over the new Unisaw, but the RIDGID contractor saw will just have "to do" for now.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by SC Whaler View Post
    Hi,
    I have been reading on the DeWalt Track saws along with the reviews. Currently I have a Jet table saw (XactaSaw) and a DeWalt DW718. I normally just stick to projects around the house and may try doing some cabinets for the closets. The DeWalt will do most any mitering that I might need. With that said, what will the table saw do for me that a track saw can't or vise versa? I guess I am looking for pros and cons.

We could be here for a very long time going over what a tablesaw can do that a simple standalone track saw cannot. The Eurekazone suite of add-ons attempts to replicate (and exceed) what a tablesaw can do, and at it's heart it is a track for a circular saw. I would suggest checking out that sub forum under Manufacturer's forum here at sawmillcreek.

Since my table saw was used, it did not come with a miter. The one I was looking at was about $100 and rather than sinking the money then decide to sell the table, I thought I would ask. But, I think Whit Richardson answered my questions quite well. Even though I may not do some of the cuts from month to month, one day I have a need and then am stuck.
    I think the track saw has a great purpose and if I was cutting 4x8s several days a week then I would get one. Thanks guys for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Plus -- tablesaws are just plain FUN!!! I'm still drooling over the new Unisaw, but the RIDGID contractor saw will just have "to do" for now.

Jason
    Me too, and I have a Unisaw!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

11. Quote Originally Posted by SC Whaler View Post
    Since my table saw was used, it did not come with a miter. The one I was looking at was about $100 and rather than sinking the money then decide to sell the table, I thought I would ask. But, I think Whit Richardson answered my questions quite well. Even though I may not do some of the cuts from month to month, one day I have a need and then am stuck.
    I think the track saw has a great purpose and if I was cutting 4x8s several days a week then I would get one. Thanks guys for the input.
    I don't know if the deal is still in effect, but they had the MastRSlide for around $400 recently. Yes, that is expensive, but if you consider how much a track saw costs, and how much an upgraded miter gauge cost, it is not too bad.

I still use a regular circular saw and straight edge sometimes, but it's mainly those rare occasions when I have to make a 4' crosscut across a sheet of plywood (and obviously for rough "home improvement work").
    The MasterRslide will crosscut to something like 32" or 34".. I don't remember exactly.

Simple.

I can no longer do without both.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Hey, Whaler.....

I am pretty sure I have a couple miter gages in the shed. How 'bout if I let you have one reeeeel cheep, like free? Do whatever you want about the track saw, but you will regret letting go of the table saw. I assume the Jet takes a standard miter gage.

E-mail me if this helps.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Miller View Post

I look forward to this thread. I have been eyeing the Eurekazone EZ-Smart system.

My question is with track saw systems, how do you make sure your cut is at 90 degree?
    Using the Ez smart bridge on a power bench you align the rail to a squaring fence fixed to the bench. You can then raise and lower the bridge and the cut is always 90 deg. Stops on the squaring fence allow repeat cuts to be made if you need a number of identical panels.

The Youtube video below shows how a square cut is made using the bridge.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOggc...next=1&index=3

When cutting large sheets of plywood its often an advantage to bring the saw to the wood rather than having to hike the heavy sheets around. The ezsmart rail can be used with a square to make finish cuts as shown in this Youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFi80yzUHR0

I have had my Ezsmart system for just over 2 years now and sold my table saw and router table.

N.B. the Ezsmart system uses your existing circular saw and router and any saw can be easily modified to give excellent dust collection for a few $.

Bryan
    Last edited by Bryan Parlor; 12-30-2008 at 7:14 PM.

I'm not a proponent one way or the other. Everything walt specified can be done with a tracksaw and the addition of a router table to the shop. It would be easily stowable, portable and cheaper than a nice tablesaw.