Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Planer DW733 or Ridgid 4331?

Which Planer DW733 or Ridgid 4331?

I have been looking for a small planer for some time now and my local Borg has the Ridgid 4331 on clearance and I have a line on a used DW733. They will both cost me about $300 each, I am leaning towards the Ridgid, as new seems better. Suggestions?

Are you willing to spend another $200?

It will get you the Dewalt DW735. It will better in the long run.

If not the ridgid is fine

I'd also consider replacement knife availability. Knives for the DW735 are available from Infinity among others. I don't know about the Ridgid planer. You may not want to find yourself having to order knives from Home Depot once that model is replaced and waiting for days or weeks to get them.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 09-29-2012 at 7:25 AM.

I have the Ridgid and have really had no problems with it, it makes a very smooth cuts and I have used it a lot. The one little problem I had was it would lower itself as you used it, it does not have a head lock, it was just the idler on the chain and took no time to fix.

The knives are very easy to replace and are 2 sided, when one side gets dull, just turn them around. I have had no problem getting the knives, I keep a set on hand and when I use that set I will order another set. You put in a new set you will get a lot of use from both sides before you need a new set.

Thanks for the input. I would love the DW735, but that isn't in the cards. That extra $200 is going for dust collection!

Bill, how long do the blades last? I don't get a lot of shop time, so won't be sending 100 board feet a month through the planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Barton View Post
    Thanks for the input. I would love the DW735, but that isn't in the cards. That extra $200 is going for dust collection!

Bill, how long do the blades last? I don't get a lot of shop time, so won't be sending 100 board feet a month through the planer.
    I not sure I could say how many board feet I run and I am just a hobby woodworker and I may change them once every 8 or 10 months with normal use. Now if I am doing a lot of Purple Heart or really hard wood it may be a little sooner then that. They really do last very well, it maybe that I baby them a lot, I don't take really deep cuts, just take it slow and easy.

I have the 733, and have had very good results with it. I sharpen my blades (does not have the carbide blades).
    The 733 has been discontinued-replaced by the 734, and $300.00 seems a bit too high to me. Try $250.00 on the seller.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Barton View Post
    I have been looking for a small planer for some time now and my local Borg has the Ridgid 4331 on clearance and I have a line on a used DW733. They will both cost me about $300 each, I am leaning towards the Ridgid, as new seems better. Suggestions?
    keep leaning towards the 4331, which, apparently unlike the 4330, does have a cutter head lock (as did the 1300 2 blade cuter head predecessor to both the 4330 and the 4331). here's a nominally informative video overview of the 4331:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFeBnYlGHWA

couple it's features with a 3 year warranty and the lifetime service agreement (remember to rigister your tool with the LSA or you will be uncovered after the 3 year warranty expires)and it would be my choice over the dewalt 733/4 all the time.

$300 for a used 733 is pretty high. It'd wouldn't be nice to take a tool that someone is so fond of away from them!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Can you find a 734? They are super nice and the blades last longer than a 735 unless you put a byrd on the 735.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I can't comment on the newer model, but I've been using my Ridged planer for at least 10 years now, and not a single problem. The knives last a long time and are easy to change. My only complaint is how loud it is, but that's probably going t be the case with any lunchbox.

Blog Entries
    I was at my local Home Depot this week and they had the DW734 marked down to $319.00........ It followed me home.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I've used a DW733 professionally for eight years. It has always performed well for me. What I like above contemporary equivalent units is the adjustable, and thus repeatedly resharpenable, knives. I've been rotating my three sets (a new unit came with two) for years now and none show any signs of wearing out in my lifetime. I send them out via my local lumber supplier and have them back within a week, sharp as new, for $10 a set.

I'm fairly happy with the Ridgid also and have only recently come across Bill's problem.
    Bill *- How do you fix this "idler chain"? Mind giving a few details? Thks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I have the Ridgid and have really had no problems with it, it makes a very smooth cuts and I have used it a lot. The one little problem I had was it would lower itself as you used it, it does not have a head lock, it was just the idler on the chain and took no time to fix.

The knives are very easy to replace and are 2 sided, when one side gets dull, just turn them around. I have had no problem getting the knives, I keep a set on hand and when I use that set I will order another set. You put in a new set you will get a lot of use from both sides before you need a new set.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Penning View Post
    I'm fairly happy with the Ridgid also and have only recently come across Bill's problem.
    Bill *- How do you fix this "idler chain"? Mind giving a few details? Thks.
    Turn the thing over and take the covers off the chain. There is one of the sprockets the is adjustable and you can tighten the chain up with it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ridgid+planner