Thread: Waiting...

Waiting...

I'm waiting and reading and watching videos. I just contributed to this site and made my guy do it, too.

Today, he ran conduit around the two-car garage that will soon be our woodworking shop. For Christmas, I gave him a Grisly, Cyclone, 2-horse power vacuum sucker. We have seven other machines, one of which is a lathe. His father used to do woodworking (now near 80 years old) and passed on many of his tools to my guy (Marples, from Sheffield, England -- totally unused from whenever they were bought - probably between 30 and 50 years ago). I am confiscating them because I am going to be turning. As soon as he finishes the electrical stuff, running 110 and 220 outlets where we need them in the new workshop (sorry, but the word 'studio' will be reserved for when I become rich and famous-- hahahahahahahahah!!!), then I'll be a newbie here.

Seriously, I've been lurking and my guy has been sending me your turning projects which I think are fabulous.

Lurking and waiting and watching. I can't WAIT until it all comes together.

with much fascination and in total awe,

K S

where are you, there are clubs around the usa and world, you might want to get some safety tips and turning tips to start out with

viedos are good too, and some of the woodworking stores have demos

good luck and be safe dust is bad

Welcome Kristi to SMC. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. I agree with Charlie that if you have a woodturning club or a woodcraft, etc. that you could take some turning lessons at it would be a big advantage. DVD's and video's are also good. I am self taught and have probably 15 to 18 DVD's that I have watched many, many times then go practice. Keith Rowley's book Woodturning A Foundation Course with companion DVD is excellent. Here is a link.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st..._kr_wafc?Args=

Have fun and be safe.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Kristi - Welcome to SMC! Sounds like you are having a lot of fun getting your shop ready! Sounds advice so far - get some assist from experienced turners and it will save you a lot of time and frustration! Also, if you have been lurking - you already know that we like photos - lots & lots of photos!

Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Welcome the the creek! And yes we are photo junkies.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Good For You !

First, welcome to the Creek ! Lot's of good people and good information here. Sounds like you are getting set up nicely. Enjoy your new shop/studio.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Welcome Kristi! You will love it here, Ive only been turning a little over a year now and although I have a ways to go I wouldnt be anywhere near the level Im at now if it wasnt for the nice folks here at the Creek. Most anything you can think of one or more people here have already "been there, done that" so its a great resource. What kind of lathe do you have??
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Kristi -

Welcome to the Creek. A great place to hang out and trade information. Good luck getting everything set up.

Regards,
    Ted

I'm supposed to tell you that I get wife points or something for encouraging my S/O to spend money on good tools. You'll have to let me know what the heck that's all about.

Safety is imperative. I will do my best not to have shards hanging off my nose, lights that explode (going to suggest putting hardware cloth above the lathe - perhaps hanging just below the lights...) or bowls that find their own direction - generally somewhere besides the lathe.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours! What I've seen so far in your photos -- including your injuries, has taught me much, O-be-one! Although, I am 'lathe' to tell you.

Kristi, that's a good one right there (lathe to tell you), ha, yep, welcome and I'm sure you'll find lots of great tips, encouragement from lots of good folks here. I enjoy wood turning and think you'll have a blast!

Best wishes for your new set up ASAP!

And - Happy New Year!

Jude

PS - my husband says I get those, too - the good wife points, ha! Share a love of good tools, woodworking stuff . . . hence a Merry Christmas to both of us always!

Jude

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Kingery View Post
    PS - my husband says I get those, too - the good wife points, ha! Share a love of good tools, woodworking stuff . . . hence a Merry Christmas to both of us always!

Jude
    Judy and everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome - no wooden responses here, fer sure.
    I live in Bastrop, Texas, which is about 16 miles from Austin's main airport. We're on the edge of the Piney woods and on 15 plus acres. Tons of wood and woods surround us. I am conflicted - half Annie Dillard and half Norm Abrams kind of conflicted. We don't watch TV (movies, yes; tv, no), so we acquire what we know from books and from the web, mostly. This makes these forums more important to us than you could guess.

I am so impressed with what everyone accomplishes - from putting shops together to creating these absolutely fabulous wood art pieces (you may call them bowls or vases, but they truly do wreak great havoc on the senses and challenge the mind on what is 'the norm').

Happy New Year and all that! Would like to see more photos of everyone's work or links to great galleries.

Kristi
    Last edited by Kristi Sprinkle; 12-31-2008 at 8:55 AM.

Talking Welcome!

Kristi, It sounds like your world will now revolve around the newly set up and beautified shop! You have definitly come to the right place for info on woodturning! It is an addiction that is better than any drug could ever be, but maybe more costly!

Have fun and show us all the magnificant things you create!

Happy New Year!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Bastrop, Texas

Bastrop, Texas, you might want to contact at these sites

Brazos Valley Woodturners - http://www.bvwt.org/welcome/welcome.shtml

Central Texas Woodturners Association
    http://ctwa.org/

Welcome aboard Kristi, for sure you have found the second best place in cyber space....you'll hafta guess which is the best, and yep points for spouses'.
    John 3:16