Thread: First Bowls

Blog Entries

First Bowls

Thanks to everyone who helped out with the NE newbie questions last week.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99843

Here's how the bowls turned out. I'm curious to get your overall impression...shapes, finish, and even photography. Clearly there's a lot to learn, but it's a starting point.

My self-critique is something like this. For the standard edge bowl profile is ok but I missed some cleanup on the lip. The NE bowl profile seems too steep...wish the rounding was more gradual. Both bowls have a lot of grey flakes in the wood...oh well, it was free firewood. Photography needs to be much better. Perhaps a home-made lightbox is in order. The foot might be too thick on both bowls.

Joel - very nice work on both bowls! Love the curl!

On the traditional bowl - I really like the form and the slight band around the rim. It is a subtle design and enhances the overall form. You have already identified the clean-up area on the band... sometimes we don't catch that until after the finish goes on. The foot area is always something that is a love/hate issue with folks but generally, the smaller in height, the better.

Your natural edge bowl is very impressive. Beautiful wood and a great job on keeping all the bark! It may be a little deep as far as form but that also is a judgment call and does not appear to be to off-balanced. Next time you can try something a little different. Again, the foot may look a little less clunky by having less height but that is just a personal opinion.

Very nice work Joel ! You are starting where most of us hope to get to! Looking forward to seeing your next bowls!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great bowls! Almost as good as mine

I love the rim on the traditional bowl. The feet do seem a bit tall on both. The NE bowl curl is wonderful but the sides seem to be "reaching" a bit. The curve flattens out as it goes up the wings. Mine did the same thing -maybe larger radius wings would work better? I am going to try that on my next one.

Have to be very picky here for critique - no complaints as first bowls.

Very nice!

Joel, Steve is right on the foot size, smaller shorter. The main purpose for a foot is to give the bowl a feeling of it floating. The small shadow created by the foot helps to give it that look. But if it is to small in comparison to the bowl it becomes tippy or wobbles when touched. You can also make a fooless bowl that will sit however it wants and has a little movement, Jimmy Clewes turns one in one of his videos. It looks like the wood is soft maple of some sort and it seems to always have some grey or greyish brown flecks in it. It all gives character! The NE bowl has great quilted grain and the bark is perfect! NE works are a favorite of mine so I like it no matter what!

Great job!
    Keep at it!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

nice indeed

Joel,
    Great looking bowls. I really like the rim and a very good job on keeping the bark. I agree with the foot being smaller.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Joel, I like them both and great first bowls. I don't even mind the big feet. I do wear a size 13 so that might have something to do with it. As you progress you will get better at seeing the shape you want in your mind and being able execute that shape as you turn. I know that has happened for me.

Again great work. I would not hesitate to have those on my shelf.

Alan

Joel those are great looking first bowls. I really like the NE bowl and the rim treatment on the other. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Both Winners

Both of these first bowls are really winners. Nice balance. Forms are really good. As first bowls you have two winners. The photography is very good. What a great start!

I like em.

M2C

Your own analysis is right on target. The feet are too big and too tall for me and make them look clunky. New turners always seem to want to use "all" the wood but gradually learn to sacrifice wood for good form. Never the less, your first bowls are miles ahead of my first ones.