Thread: Buffing Question

Buffing Question

I have a walnut bowl soaking in Watco that will be ready to buff in a week or so (I hope). I have never used the Beall System but UPS is speeding it my way as we speak. My question is this: I have heard that on walnut and other dark woods you should skip the white diamond step. Any one with some experience at this have an opinion?

Thanks.

Jason
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Yes, do skip the white diamond. If you don't you will end up with white spots all over the wood. I did a walnut bowl when I first got my Beall buff without asking. Had to remount it on the lathe with a vacuum chuck to re-sand it inside and out.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Christenson View Post
    ...My question is this: I have heard that on walnut and other dark woods you should skip the white diamond step. Any one with some experience at this have an opinion?
    Jason,

Bernie gave you good advice. Allow me to expand a little on the topic. It's not always inappropriate to use the white diamond on walnut (or other open pored woods). If you have sealed the grain (using a commercial sanding sealer or thinned down lacquer or shellac), you can go ahead and use the white diamond. You didn't seal the grain on this particular bowl (there's nothing wrong with that), so the white diamond would fill the open pores in the wood if you used it.

Which approach to use depends on the finish you are after. If you want a deep, high gloss, almost wet looking finish, fill the grain and buff using white diamond (after first applying several coats of a nice film finish like lacquer, shellac, or polly). If you want a nice soft glow, with some gloss, but a natural wood look, use a nice oil finish and skip the white diamond.