Thread: Re-introduction

Re-introduction

Just thought I would kind of re-introduce myself here. I know a few of you from the penturners website and you probably know me as "cowchaser". I have only made pens and bottlestoppers for the last year and have yet to make a bowl, which is getting ready to change. I am ordering a barracuda chuck today and figured it was time to turn some bowls. I still have a bunch of other things to buy like a bowl gouge and parting tool and whatever else I need. Figure I will try and find some guys from penturners that might want to trade some stuff for some basic bowl turning dvd's or books. I only have a Jet Mini VS so I figure I will be limited in what I can do, but with today's economy I have to make a sacrifice somewhere.

So any help along this stretch of my learning curve is appreciated and any input on what to buy is appreciated. I unfortunately don't have a turning club close by so this will end up being self taught for the most part. So let me know what tools I need to have and we will kick this thing off.

You sure about no clubs near you? What's your definition of "near" and where in OK are you?? They've got a number of AAW chapters in your state.

And of course, near is an operative word. We have folks who drive more than an hour to our monthly meetings. A friend drives two hours to his.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

I live in North Central OK, right along the Kansas line. The nearest is OKC (2hrs 1 way) and the other is Tulsa (1hr 45 mins 1 way). That is the only 2 that I am aware of.

Dustin, If looking for video's I would check with your local library. I have found that our local library has an awesome selection of videos. And they are also on a national sharing program where if they can get it from another library they will. Also I would recommend getting a Thompson bowl gouge. You can e-mail Doug and he will give you his recommendations.

The only other advice is don't be scared to make a mistake. It is a learning process and you will figure it out.

Good Luck

Alan

Dustin have you checked Wichita turning clubs? I would get Bill Grumbines Turned Bowls Made Easy. Great DVD and is very good for learning basic bowl turning.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dustin - have to second Bernie's recommendation of Bill Grumbine's video "Turned Bowls Made Easy". He walks you through every step of turning a bowl - from cutting the wood blank to how to properly hold and use the bowl gouge. Excellent video!

Seeing as how you are remote (I know the feeling) be sure to ask lots of questions! I'm sure one of us will be able to help out! Have fun with it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Dustin:
    I know what you mean about long distance to clubs. It makes it difficult to get to know people that live a couple of hours away. I think you have found the place that offers a great wealth of information and people who are interested in helping you. When you have questions, just ask. Post lots of pics!
    All the best.

Dustin, I found this on the AAW site:

South Kansas Woodturners
    Meetings
    Meeting Location:
    Boeing Employees Assn., facility located at 4226 Gold Street
    Wichita, KS

Meeting Info: 9 AM 3rd Saturday
    Contact Information
    Greg Tompkins
    7105 S. Oliver Rd.
    Newton, KS 67114
    Phone: 316-283-1265
    Email: tompkins@hughes.net
    General Information
    Number of Members: 50
    Service Info: South Central KS

90 minutes to Wichita from Ponca City...

Might be worth doing say every other month.

Any of these clubs are worth your time and worth the dues just for access to the video and book libraries. Add the fellowship and the other knowledge bank, plus the opportunity to see demonstrations up close and personal and to find folks who would be willing to spend time with you in your or their shops to help you NOT learn bad habits.

An investment any way you go, but one that will pay off in more satisfying turning than you might otherwise experience, and a greatly reduced learning curve.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

What is the web address of the pen turners website you speak of?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Thanks everyone for the information.

Dave, it is the IAP penturners.org

Dustin,

I'll 3rd Bill Grumbine's video "Turned Bowls Made Easy". Very well done and shows several different presentations using a bowl gouge to make clean cuts and clean up cuts.

A good bowl gouge and a good scraper will get you a long ways in bowl turning. Sharp tools are an absolute must.

I have a Jet VS Mini. It's only limitation is the diameter of the bowl you can turn. The variable speed is invaluable when starting with an out-of-round, out-of-balanced bowl blank!

Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yet another vote for Grumbines videos, I learned more watching that then I did anywhere else, well except for here at the Creek that is!! Welcome aboard!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Any suggestion on what kind of tools to get.... bowl gouge, parting tool, what kind of scraper...ect....

Thanks guys this is helping and I will look and see if I can find Bills video.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cranford View Post
    Any suggestion on what kind of tools to get.... bowl gouge, parting tool, what kind of scraper...ect....

Thanks guys this is helping and I will look and see if I can find Bills video.
    Yes, all of them!! LOL Seriously you may as well because if you stick with this you will have them all sooner rather than later so go ahead and get ya some!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.