Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Simple Pair of Seven-Foot Oars

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Smith View Post

Where did you get the patterns for cutting out the shape of the oar?

Since the oars that I would be making will be eight feet long, are there any changes in the construction method that you outlined?
    Woodenboat mag has published several patterns over the decades for the price of the issue. Glen-L and other have them for sale. Google will obtain several free patterns in pdf format. Pete Culler and others have books out on oars with patterns and instructions.

Most involve plotting offsets from a centerline. Fold craft paper down the center, plot your offsets using an awl that pierces the paper, then fold your paper, connect the dots using scissors and you have a perfectly symetrical pattern that can then be stapled to and transferred to posterboard or doorskin.

Oar length is easily adjusted by drawing the blade and handle seperately along a centerline of any length and connecting/fairing the lines. Scantlings are determined by the pattern and wood species used. Most builders make them too heavy.

More oars....these are 8 and 9-footers made in one long day after glueup:

Last edited by Bob Smalser; 09-17-2009 at 8:42 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Beautiful work, Bob! Loved the pictorial.

One question for you - I make kayak paddles from WRC and many of the tools and procedures are very similar to those you described here. I also add a hardwood spline at the tips, but it's always been a pain in the neck to do. May I ask how you cut the slot for the spline on these long awkward sticks?

Best regards!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post

May I ask how you cut the slot for the spline on these long awkward sticks?
    While the stock is still full-thickness with square edges, I use a quarter-inch slotting cutter in the router. Make one pass from each of both faces, and obtaining a slot dead center in the stock is guaranteed. Thickened spoxy fixes any sloppiness in the resulting joint.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 09-17-2009 at 10:13 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Thanks Bob. I ended up making a jig for my circular saw -

Mike