Thread: Woodcut Bowl Saver

Woodcut Bowl Saver

I was watching a video on the Woodcut Bowl Saver and the guy started with the largest one first. This required him to then mount and remount each blank every time he wants to make the next core. Couldnt the smaller one be done first?? I saw Dave Lancaster do this with the Oneway system so I dont know why the Woodcut system couldnt do it too. Anyone have the Woodcut and care to share??

Thanks!!

Jim
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Jim I have the Woodcut Bowl Saver and yes I start with the smallest bowl first, can't quite imagine why anyone would start with the largests. I have had it for 3 or 4 years the only system that I have ever had so unable to compare it to the others. I have cored quite a few bowls and haven't had to sharpen any of the knives yet.

It is to make sure the largest bowl is good

Jim, I think that a lot of guys believe the largest bowl will be worth the most so by making sure that one is cut good first, the others are all bonus bowls! So in eesence if you start small and make a few to deep cuts the last bowl may not have enough material left in the bottom and the biggest bowl will be lost. That is what I know so hope that gives you some thing to ponder!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    Jim, I think that a lot of guys believe the largest bowl will be worth the most so by making sure that one is cut good first, the others are all bonus bowls! So in eesence if you start small and make a few to deep cuts the last bowl may not have enough material left in the bottom and the biggest bowl will be lost. That is what I know so hope that gives you some thing to ponder!

Jeff
    Ah now I never though of that but it makes good sense. I would assume however that with some use and a little careful measuring that one could avoid getting to thin at the bottom? Hhmmm Food for thought for sure!!

The first cut is the deepest.

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Smith View Post
    Jim I have the Woodcut Bowl Saver and yes I start with the smallest bowl first, can't quite imagine why anyone would start with the largests. I have had it for 3 or 4 years the only system that I have ever had so unable to compare it to the others. I have cored quite a few bowls and haven't had to sharpen any of the knives yet.
    Bruce is 12" the largest you can do as advertised and is that the outside largest or the inside largest?? I know sometimes the manufactures ratings can be taken with a grain of salt, just wondering if the same applied to the Woodcut. Hows the vibration when using it, does it beat you up like the McNaughton??

I just got Robo Hippy's video from my turning club and he uses the McNaughton system.That is exactly the reason he explains. The big bowl is worth the most and he doesn't mind loosing a 6" or 4" bowl. If you get the chance to watch it, it is 10 times better than Mahoneys. It is extremely well taped and formatted. He does a GREAT job of explaining the process start to finish. I hope he does more videos.
    Duff

Rember: Experience is what you get just after needed it.

Thanks Duff. Being able to instruct/teach/mentor is as much fun as turning.

As far as which bowl to take first, it doesn't really matter as far as efficiency goes. You still have to remount each core to turn it to finish thickness. If you lay things out properly (that is a big if some days as things don't always go as planned), you will get the same number of bowls either way. For me, I want to get the biggest ones first as they sell for the most. Most of the time, I won't core anything less than about 8 inch diameter, and 3 inches thick. Just isn't worth it unless it is a special piece of wood. For me, I use a recess on the top of the bowl to expand a chuck into instead of a face plate. I finish turn the big bowl, remove it, and then remount with the recess in the core. Pretty simple. With a Woodcut, if you use a face plate, you have to remove it to core. The big blade on the Woodcut is a 5 or 6 inch radius, can't remember which. You can core a 12 inch diameter bowl with it. There is some chattering with it, more so with deeper bowls, and on harder woods.

Jim, if you are getting beat up with the McNaughton, there is some thing wrong with what you are doing. Ever seen Bill Grumbine in his bowl turning DVDs? 2 fingers to work the tool.

robo hippy