Thread: Next project - Cut List Software?

Next project - Cut List Software?

We purchased a big screen TV for Christmas and need something to put it on. I looked every where to find plans that I liked, but have been unsuccessful. I decided to buy plans and make some changes. I was ready to post with a lot of questions until I read the posts from Keith and Mat. Their projects are very similar to what I am trying to attempt. After reading their posts and every ones responses my questions were answered, and I learned enough to avoid some mistakes and oversights I had made with my design. As a newby (I am sure I am not alone) I really appreciate all the experts and craftsman on this site who are so willing to share there skills and experience. That is just one of the things that make this such a great site. I just have one question. At least for today. After spending a lot of time figuring out my cut sheet, I found a program that will do it a lot faster and better than I could, but is quite expensive. Which brings this to my question. Are there other programs out there that will do just a simple cut sheet without all the other bells and whistles, and still keep the cost low. It would sure be a time saver and help me from making dumb mistakes. when I get a little further along I will post some pictures.

Thanks
    Greg

Have you looked at Cutlist Plus. It comes in 3 flavors, and the no frills, basic version is $89. It does a decent job and is pretty easy to learn.
    http://cutlistplus.com/

Googles SketchUp 7 has a plugin (I believe its called the Cutlist plugin) that does this quite nicely. I use it quite a bit now, but the downside is that you first have to model your project completely in SketchUp. But once you figure out how to use it it sure is nice! Both are free too, which is even better.
    Otherwise Ive used another free program that works almost as well (also called cutlist..haha) - got it and a few other helpful programs off a fellow Creeker's website HERE Thanks Jeff!
    Theres more too Im sure, have you tried a search of the Design forum?
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hanko View Post
    Otherwise Ive used another free program that works almost as well (also called cutlist..haha) - got it and a few other helpful programs off a fellow Creeker's website HERE
    That's the one I use. And you can't beat the price!

Thanks. that looks like what I am looking for.

Greg

I use Cutlist Plus, using results exported from Sketchup. I pretty much paid for my copy with the first project. I do need to do an upgrade since the one I have won't run under Vista, but it'll quickly pay for itself again.

Thanks Matt. Cutlist Plus looks like a great program, but a little overkill for me. Your "Next Project" looks great. I really like your design. I look forward to the day I can do work as good. Until then I'll keep learning from the pro's here and using my 1/4" putty stick LOL.

Thanks
    Greg