Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New lathe help.

New lathe help.

Good morning!
    First of all thanks for letting me be a part of the forums!

I've read a lot of threads here and on other forums concerning some of the newer mini, midi and full size lathes out now.

A little back story on my turning. When I first started turning, a few years ago, I went out and bought the cheapest Harbor Freight lathe they had to offer. I turned a few pieces, made some shavings, and had a good time. But over time the cheapness of my purchase began to fall apart. It became a daily struggle to work on the stupid thing every time I wanted to turn. I didn't listen to the advice of "get the best lathe you can afford". So here I am 3 years later looking the "best lathe I can afford". I've looked on criagslist for anything that looks decent used with 200 miles of me and the nearest Woodcraft is 100 miles from me north or south. I can't find anything used for a good price. The other issue is that there's no turning clubs in my area. Again, Birmingham is the closest and an hour and a half away. I'd really love to have a Powermatic, Robust, or any of the lathes in the Professional class, but that's WAY out of my price range. I'd really like to turn bowls and know that a 12-12 1/2" swing would limit the size of the bowl that I could turn. I'm gathering the parts to build a bowl lathe over the next year, but I'd like to buy something for other projects that I can turn on until, if ever, I get the parts.

I have about a $750 dollar budget and all the tools required for turning except the lathe. I would buy used, just can't find anything locally.
    I have been looking at 4:
    Full size Grizzly G0462, but the 600 rpm at the lowest speed concerns me for bowls.
    Delta 46-460 Midi (around $600) 12 1/2" swing 1 HP motor
    Rikon 70-220VSR (around $550) 12 1/2" swing 1 HP motor
    NOVA Comet II (around $530 with the G3 chuck) only a 12" swing and 3/4 HP motor

It seems the more I read the more confused I get. I'm a computer guy by nature and know what it's like to have "brand loyalty" be a factor in the decision making process (should I get a windows, mac, or linux computer). A lot of the forums that I've looked at seem to be slanted one way or the other.
    I'm in a state of analysis paralysis(not being able to make a decision based on TOO much information!)

Any advice? Any help? I just want to turn and have a good time doing it!

Thanks in advance!
    Lee

2. I have the Delta midi 46-460 vs, and while a good lathe, the Jet 1221vs is in the same class, but better because you can get parts and service.....they are readily available to you, and you are talking around $800 for it. Now, if you could possibly swing around $1400, the Grizzly G0632 16/42 lathe has all the features of the Jet 1642 evs and would put you squarely in the medium 16" class with all the state of the art features.

Numerous turners have gotten this model and are happy with it. I just seems like a big step up front, but once you get a larger lathe, you will be so much happier as you have more weight and capability with it. The G0632 has a 1.5 hp 3 phase motor and premium inverter, which will get you where you can turn bowls and platters, etc in the 15" range.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I would add the Jet 1221 to your list. I don't own one, but I have done numerous demonstrations on one. It did a fine job. In this size group it is very definitely worth considering.

As you've noticed, good used lathes don't come up very often. When they do, they generally sell for not much less than a new lathe of similar capacity. Well made lathes don't wear out, so there's little to prefer a brand new lathe over one that was made 5 years before -- except the quality of the paint.

If $750 is all you can afford, then I believe you should go for the Rikon 70-220VSR. It receives good reviews and is less money than the Delta and Jet lathes of similar capacity. The Nova Comet II also receives good reviews, but it has a little less swing and horse power. If these lathes cannot do what you want, then I suggest you keep looking for a good deal on a used full-size lathe. Old Delta and Powermatic lathes with Reeves drives can be bought for reasonable money. Turning outboard on one of these lathes will allow you to turn a large bowl or platter. Or, you can add risers to the headstock and tailstock to increase the swing.
    Last edited by David Walser; 08-17-2015 at 5:23 PM. Reason: for clarity
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I expanded my search on craigslist and found a used Jet 1220 not VS. 6 years old and asking $550 obo.
    Any thoughts?
    http:// nashville.craigslist.org/tls/5133452607.html

Does VS that much of a difference?
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 08-17-2015 at 4:51 PM. Reason: direct links to CL only allowed in D&D forum

I was in exactly the same budget as you are. I looked locally for used lathes for a while and was anguishing between the Nova Comet II, and saving my money for the Jet 1221. While I was thinking and deciding a used full-size lathe became available. I'm soooo much happier buying used as I got so much more for my money. That said, buying new you know what you're getting and that has value.

Looking back now on what I knew then and what I know now, save up the extra $200 for the Jet 1221. You'll spend so much more than that on extras over the first year or two owning the lathe that it will be worth the wait. Also, don't overlook the money you'll be sinking into sharpening. Unless you already have a slow speed sharpening solution you'll need to invest in that as well as some solution for sharpening gouges (Tormek, Wolverine, etc.)

I would recommend spending some time with your local turning club. Meet them, ask around. A lot of clubs have people in them with a third lathe gathering dust that isn't listed 'for sale' on Craig's list, but with a buyer talking to them may just be available. A little patience and networking may bring you an answer. Often used lathes also come with a lot of extras that you'll end up needing/buying long term. My used lathe came with a lot of items I knew I was going to have to buy, included: chuck, extra jaws, drill chuck, several live and drive centers, center finding jigs, callipers, etc. Patience pays off....sometimes.
    Last edited by Allan Wright; 08-17-2015 at 2:23 PM. Reason: added more info
    Laser Engraver: Epilog Legend 24TT 35-watt
    Lathe: Delta X5 46-746 - 3HP/220v, 16"x42"

Hi Lee -
    I am new also, and just went through the same thing you're going through. My wife bought me a used HF lathe for Christmas. I wont talk badly about it, but I did wind up giving it away for free after I got a replacement. My sincere advice echoes exactly what Roger suggested. If you can possibly make the jump to the 16" EVS Grizzly lathe (you'll need 220v, I believe) it will save you anguish and most likely another lathe purchase in the long run if you plan on turning a lot of bowls.

Reeves drive lathes are their own set of headaches, and while the G0462 has lots of happy owners I think you're right on with your concern about 600rpm and off balanace blanks. I bought the recently released jet 1441 before I knew better and even through it claims a low speed of 400, I put a tach to it and found that it gets down to about 525 at its lowest. Even with 350 pounds of ballast between its legs, it keeps you honest when starting a big piece.

I like the Rikon (or the equivalent Jet) over the Delta for availability of parts and service. Rikon's parts department is super easy to work with, and they ship same day if they have it in house.

Where are you located? There might be owners of some of your choices close enough for you to visit and get up close and personal with the lathes. The best way to decide is to get some time on as many as you can.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Lee Krause View Post
    I expanded my search on craigslist and found a used Jet 1221 not VS. 6 years old and asking $550 obo.
    Any thoughts?
    http:// nashville.craigslist.org/tls/5133452607.html

If I am not mistaken the 1221 did not arrive on the market until about 18 months ago........you must be talking a 1220 Jet. A good little lathe, but you will have belt changes......not a big thing, but I think you could do better on price for a non-variable speed lathe of that age. Just my personal opinion. The extras that go with it are a plus. Not a bad deal for a pretty good little lathe., but I would go with the new Rikon David mentions above before spending this much on that Jet.

That Rikon is on sale at Woodcraft now for $549! You could have new and more features!
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 08-17-2015 at 4:52 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Jets go on sale periodically at Woodcraft. Sign up for emails and/or monthly paper fliers from the nearest Woodcraft and wait for a sale. Same for slow speed grinder, which has not been mentioned yet, but is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Krause View Post

I've never known someone who spent the money for an EVS lathe to wish they hadn't, but I know many a turner with a non EVS lathe that would have done it differently.

I'm in Huntsville, AL.

Lee, best bet is to try and find the nearest club. Turners are always upgrading, and there are the estate sales as well, and club members usually get first choice. The variable speed is a luxury, but one you have it, you never want to go back. There are a number of clubs down there.

robo hippy

You mentioned an Old Delta. I didn't even look at the add until you mentioned it. It looks rough...
    http:// bham.craigslist.org/for/5154509052.html
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 08-17-2015 at 4:52 PM. Reason: direct links to CL only allowed in D&D forum

That actually looks in OK shape. Check if it runs. The rust can come off without too much trouble. Really depends on whether you are OK with some machine restoring work before turning. Some folks want to get right to turning, some don't mind a bit of time investment to get something better quality for less. Both are OK.

I know this is not immediate help but check on the Turning Southern Style XXI woodturning symposium in Dalton GA. It is in the middle of September and it is put on by the GA Association of Woodturners and will have many vendors, demonstrations and folks available to answer questions.