Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walnut bed tables

Walnut bed tables

I finished the tables of solid walnut. The case drawer and base are all from solid wood. The boards were laid up and mitered to allow the grain to be continuous. The design emphasizes its function. The base is heavier 8/4 to visually support the drawer case which is lighter and more delicate. They are linked by stainless rods which still maintain the clarity of the two parts. It is almost like a couple , a man and woman, the man is the stronger the woman the for delicate and more secretive (drawer closed) He is opened and exposes all. The marriage band are the stainless rods. Sorry for the metaphor
    The lower portion is for books , magazines etc. The drawer is for your imagination
    Dovetails are hand cut . The slide system I showed before.

I am thinking to add an ebony pull. What is your opinion????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 01-04-2009 at 4:54 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

A few pics more....and my body guard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 01-04-2009 at 5:04 PM.

Mark, excellent work as usual. I believe the ebony pull would look nice, but I was thinking a thicker stainless steel pull would look nice. Thicker than the stainless rods, but thinner than the stainless legs.
    chris

More fabulous work Mark. I always love seeing the work you post. It is always a total package from design to wood selection to craftsmanship.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Excellent grain match.. tight miters... the ebony pulls would look fine to contrast but am going with Christopher on his suggestion of stainless steel pulls in this case. Both would add to the accent though.

Sarge..

Very classy!! I really like the concept ...and the execution. Are they keepers or for someone else?? Others might appreciate an ebony pull, simply because the nature of "drawer" seems to demand one. You, on the other hand, know it's not necessary and might pass...just to keep the lines clean. Did you reinforce the joints?

I appreciate the comments and I think they add an important aspect. Choosing the wood and planning your lay ups with an eye for the grain is so important. I spent a long time selecting and matching ... flipping and trying the other side to arrive at the best match. Even The 8/4 base is cut consecutively from a solid piece. It just adds so much

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Very classy!! I really like the concept ...and the execution. Are they keepers or for someone else?? Others might appreciate an ebony pull, simply because the nature of "drawer" seems to demand one. You, on the other hand, know it's not necessary and might pass...just to keep the lines clean. Did you reinforce the joints?
    The base joints are loose M and T . The upper carcass is biscuit jointed. I rarely use biscuits but for a miter with no clearance for a ledger on the inside it worked. Wood movement is not an issue since its all oriented the same way
    They are for my Guest House

First rate in every way Mark!

I never tire of the pieces you come up with.
    And it seems with every one of them I pick up yet another tip.

This time it was the drawer glides.

Thanks for the post.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer View Post
    I appreciate the comments and I think they add an important aspect. Choosing the wood and planning your lay ups with an eye for the grain is so important. I spent a long time selecting and matching ... flipping and trying the other side to arrive at the best match. Even The 8/4 base is cut consecutively from a solid piece. It just adds so much
    I remember reading a Maloof piece quite awhile ago where he had finally decided a slab of wood was to become a dresser . . . after looking at it for years!

I really like the pieces and I am +1 for ebony on the pull.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mark,
    I'm thinking Cocobola pulls...I got some raw pieces that may fit. Want them?
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Striking! On the pulls, I vote no pulls if it is not too cumbersome to bend too far to open the drawer. If a pull is necessary, I vote stainless - just think the wood is so compelling I would hate to have another species compete with it.

As always when I see your work, I'm lost in admiration. I don't think I"ll post the bedside table I'm finishing up.

My first thought would have been to have aligned the legs with the rods. What's your thinking in not doing that?

Regarding a knob; I see something in stainless, but with a form which is organic or even splotchy. Something to contrast with the total control in the tables. Perhaps there's a flower or something from elsewhere in the room which can be pulled in.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    As always when I see your work, I'm lost in admiration. I don't think I"ll post the bedside table I'm finishing up.

My first thought would have been to have aligned the legs with the rods. What's your thinking in not doing that?

Regarding a knob; I see something in stainless, but with a form which is organic or even splotchy. Something to contrast with the total control in the tables. Perhaps there's a flower or something from elsewhere in the room which can be pulled in.
    John,
    Nature is the best resource .. The trunk of the tree is the main supporting member and it is closer to the center than the higher supporting branches. So the legs should be in a little. The rods are close to the edge and that would not have been a possible location for the legs.

John, Please post your tables. Everyone should contribute regardless of the level of skill. We are all on the same journey ... at different points on the same path. I am still learning with every project. That is a good thing. My hands are still steady and my eyes good.... once those things go the quality of the work slides too. We have seen it in our mentors and this is a bit sad
    So exhibit your stuff and I know we will all enjoy seeing it!

Your dovetails always make me feel inadequate. Nice work as always.

The first thing I thought of when I saw your bodyguard was the line from Transformers the movie with that Chihuahua. "You have a rodent infestation"

Great dogs, bodyguards, well, most I have known would go down swinging anyway.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"