Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dust collector

dust collector

just got my new dust collector today. unboxed it assembled it and tried it out. never had one before. man this thing is really cool. maybe now I can keep my shop clean. next step is duct work for now one machine at a time
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Hey Dave, good for you!
    Hope you put it through the paces and find out what works best for set-up and placement.
    Give us the details on the DC...obviously it's a Grizzly! What model and such. This is good timing for me as I have yet to make the leap...the more info I can gather the better.
    Looks good
    Allen

Allen, model # 1029Z, 2HP 1550 CFMs only thing that may be a problem for others is its 220 volts only. I did a lot of comparison and a lot of advice from fellow creekers and this one fit my needs
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Hey, it's 2/3rds full?
    Did you get it used? They should have emptied it for you.
    Cool!
    You are going to love having the sawdust and stuff gathered up for you, enjoy!
    I like S&D pipe for mine. Cheap, easy to work, and easy to reconfigure if you want to. Plus it is a lot quieter than rattly azed metal pipe.
    If you can put it outside in a shed, I found that best for me. (Remote control)
    Inside will take up some real estate.
    My current shop has mine inside, but deadened with sound board and enclosed. It recirculates the shop air. I might revamp the discharge to make it a total loss system like my old one was. I was thinking air conditioning and heating in this shop. But I'm changing my mind and just adjust my clothing appropriately.
    I turn as well, and use a lot of CA glue. The fumes could choke a billy goat sometimes.
    If you need any help finding pipe or fittings, just holler.

Sonny, I didnt get it used just had to try it out...LOL

what size S&D do you use for your main trunk?
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Glad you asked, I love to talk dust collection. And I was kidding you about getting it used.
    I use 6" mains, and 4" drops for what few actual drops I have. Reason being it keeps the velocity up in the risers to the mains.
    I have a dirty air booster blower under my center area of my shop where most of the workings are, and a gated port to dock rolling equipment to.
    My band saw, joiner, and planer dock there and get a short 4" hose connected, and can be plugged into 240 or 120 plugs available.
    I managed to find the pipe at a plumbing supply house, and got my wye's, swept elbows, and reducers from McMaster-Carr.
    You'd think that living on the edge of a big city like L.A.'s sprawl I could find S&D pipe easy. But that was the hardest part.
    McMaster supplied me the fittings overnight! I didn't ask for that, just regular old truck shipping. Bam! I was hanging pipe the next day.
    Here's some pictures and a smidgen of advice. See how the wye's are horizontal? If you make them vertical, the stuff in the pipe from down stream will drop out of the main into the adjoining lines on its way to your collector.
    Here's the pictures:
    Last edited by Sonny Edmonds; 01-16-2009 at 9:38 PM. Reason: Clarity

Ii

I wasn't done posting pictures for you, Dave.
    I currently use a cyclone. but it wasn't always so.
    And I pulled myself up by the bootstraps from a small 1 HP Harbor Fright collector.
    I am a very strong proponent of controlling my shops air quality so Family and Friends don't get crap in their lungs.
    You are on the right path!

thanks Sonny thats some good info I wouldnt even thought about turning the wyes up horizonal until it would have been to late BTW good looking system that you have. mine should be similar in the near future. DC is defintly going outside the shop in an inclosed shed
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Dave I got the same machine and it leaked some fine dust between the platic bag and the collector. I put some rubber tape between the bag and the collector and it helped a lot. If you put it in another room won't make much difference.

thanks for all the input, and thanks for the pics and info Sonny, I dont know about the cyclone yet as I have just got started on collecting dust but I'm sure it will become a " got to have one " later
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

It's not hard David.
    Scratch around here. Click on the pictures to make them big.

Sonny:

I checked out the link you posted leading to your summary DC page. Question: The last picture shows the Y connection being fed by a 4" (6"?) hose and a 2.5" hose from the shop vac discharge.

Do you have the shop vac on at the same time as the DC? Does this do anything weird to the air movement?

Thanks in advance,
    Carlos

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, Carlos.
    That is my old shop and lean-to shed I built to put the shop vac, DC, and air compressors outside.
    I specifically bought that Rigid brand shop vac so I could put the discharge to the DC system. I set up a shop vac system similar to the DC systems piping, with gates at points of use.
    The suction of the DC system:
    1. Kills the roar of the shop vac discharge.
    2. Increases the suction when the shop vac is running noticably.
    3. With the DC running alone, it imparts a lower level of suction through the shop vac system.
    So by doing that, I turned my shop vac into a much nicer machine to live around.

In my "new" shop I took the 55 gallon barrel and use it as my collector for the cyclone. I took the 4 x 2 1/2" adapticator and hooked up my shop vac discharge to the drum.
    Still gets the boost from the DC system, still controls the discharge noise, and still imparts a mild suction if the shop vac is off.
    Why a mild suction? Well, it can draw away stuff like fumes and light debris, without sucking up a small part.

As far as disturbing the air flow, no. No noticeable effect, because the shop vac can move around 175 Cu. Ft. minute @ 108 inches of water column.
    The DC moves around 1200 CFM at maximum air movement.
    So the very most the shop vac could possibly put out is a fraction of the DC's capability.

There is lots of ways to make things work even better than what's inside the box.

Dave, I have same model and I like it. Just added remote control from PCI - PSI Woodworking LR220-3 220V Long Ranger and it's become even better.
    Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Edmonds View Post
    I turn as well, and use a lot of CA glue. The fumes could choke a billy goat sometimes.
    Ah, so that explains the avatar